Ideal East Indie Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Faverolle, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I received an order of ducks today from Ideal, mostly East Indies, Mallards, and Sweedish and almost all were DOA. Most of the remaining birds minus 2 died right after arrival.

Just curious if anyone else received an order this week and had an issue. The weather was fairly cold here in the northeast but the strange thing is all 9 live packing peanuts are perfectly fine. This was the first time I ordered from Ideal and actually had a substantial amount of casualties. Although I have some ducks already I bought them locally and did not deal with shipping.

Do the ducks not tolerate the cold as well as chicks as day olds?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I got my order from Ideal back in Janurary, But i am in alabama where it isn't too too cold. I had no deaths. Perhaps is was a bout with cold weather.
    Where do you live?
    How long did it take for the ducklings to get to you?
    Sometimes the post office screws up and you won't get the ducklings right on time. Myself being a nervous nilly, i called the post office everyday from the shipping day until i get them.

I would defintely call Ideal. They are very nice and will make it right for you. They'll send you replacments or they will refund you. (Just remember if you get replacements, they'll probably send more packing peanuts). If you have more sent, you might want to ask if they can wait a couple more weeks to ship them when the weather will be a littler better.

What kind of packing peanuts did you get? Chicks or ducklings?

Also, black east indies are a small bantam breed of duck. the ducklings are very small and more frail than other ducks. Though, the weather probably was the issue since you have several ducklings die.

3. Faverolle

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I've ordered from Ideal 6 or 7 times so far and have had very few problems. They are replacing them but I just thought it was odd that all the chicks are fine and almost all ducks are dead. Looks like most of the peanuts are EE. There are a couple others I will have to look closer at to dee what they are. I'm gonna probably just give them all away.

4. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Redhen and I had an order from Ideal come in last week... we ordered 11 ducklings, received all 11 and they were all okay. We live in MA, so it was quite a trip for them... [​IMG]

I'm so sorry about your lost duckies and I'm sure Ideal will make good with you and send some new ones. [​IMG]

5. Faverolle

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Thanks,
    My dealings with Ideal have been very good so far. What kinds of ducks did you get? Redhen lives the next town over from me.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. Neverenuff

Neverenuff Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Harrodsburg, Kentucky
    I recieved a order of 5 East indies and 10 st run of chicks for warmth. My order was shipped wed and my postoffice called me at 4:40am on thursday to pick them up (per my request) and so far as of today all are happy and zippy. One of the East indies is much smaller than the rest but shows no signs of distress. I will have to post pics as I have no Idea what the chicks are I just paid for them to send me a mix so I would not get all boys. I am not keeping the chicks but would like to know what they are.
    OH and BTW I am in Kentucky and the temp was mighty cold here wed and thursday.

Jamie

7. Faverolle

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:All my East Indies died. The larger Swedish ducks I got are still alive. It was only 12 degrees here this a.m.

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Thanks,
    My dealings with Ideal have been very good so far. What kinds of ducks did you get? Redhen lives the next town over from me.

I got a trio of Magpies and a trio of Khaki Campbells. Redhen got a crested male Magpie and 2 non-crested females, and a crested Cayuga and a crested Swedish...I think? [​IMG] They're all beautiful and healthy [​IMG]

9. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    where can I get some black east indies? for 4H? near MN?

10. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I had an order from Ideal of 3 snowy mallards, 8 d'Uccles, & a surprise of 16 packing peanuts (YaY) on March 5. One of the baby ducks died that night but the other 2 are growing like weeds! It was very cold that week when they were shipped. I live in MI & had really good luck I think considering the temps here. They did refund my $$ for the duck that died. Not really sure why she died???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by