1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ideal Hatchery Packing Peanuts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by T.N.Hughes, Apr 28, 2009.

1. T.N.Hughes

T.N.Hughes New Egg

Feb 23, 2009
    Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone had received packing peanut birds with their Ideal hatchery order and if they had figured out what they had received? I am the proud owner of 9 packing peanuts on top of the 10 hens I ordered. After finding a picture on mypetchicken.com I think they are Columdian Cochins... The problem is Ideal Hatchery doesn't sell Columbian Cochins. Very intriguing.

thanks all
    Todd

2. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Ooooooh...can you post pics?! [​IMG]

3. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    The Ideal Packing Peanuts I have gotten were Black Australorps (twice) and Barred Rocks (once). On about 2 or 3 other occasions I got no Packing Peanuts.

Jayare

4. T.N.Hughes

T.N.Hughes New Egg

Feb 23, 2009
    Okay... here are three plus some feather butts of one more and a buff orpington.

[​IMG]

5. zippy11455

zippy11455 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Light Brahma?

6. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    we got 10 buff cornish and along with them we got 12 ameraucana packing peanuts

7. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    The 3 in the pic are definately lt. brahamas. I have 3 just like them that i got in an assortment from Ideal. Mine came with rir rooster peanuts. You got quite a bonus there. Good Luck

8. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    You got a good deal there. Light brahmas are so gentle and make good mommas. Hopefully you got a few hens! congrats..

9. T.N.Hughes

T.N.Hughes New Egg

Feb 23, 2009
    Lt Brahma's huh? We ordered 2 of each hens in: Americauna, Austrolorp, Buff Orpington, Jersey Giant, Barred Rock. It appears that we recieved 4 Austrolorps instead of 2 giants and 2 Austrolorps and one of them is a Roo. At least 1 of the 9 packing peanuts that came with are hens maybe even 2 or three. I am disappointed about the giants and bummed that we received a Austrolorp Roo because we live in town, we can't have roo's.

I will check out the Brahmas. thanks all.

Todd

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I hope one or even some of those brahmas is a hen. They are the VERY best broodies and mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by