Ideal hatchery Stock

Alabama ee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 18, 2010
Boy it is hard to pick...However, I think I have decided what new birds I want. I have a few EE's now. I really want to get some that are good winter layers and lay white or brown eggs. I think I am going to try Ideal this time. I listed below the chicken breed and reason I am thinking about getting them. ( The silkies are on the list are for my daughter who wants a pet chicken.) Since I am thinking about ordering from Ideal, I wanted opinions from y'all on those breeds from Ideal. How do they lay? Are they friendly? Do you feel your birds from Ideal are good quality?

All pullets
2 California Whites ....... I wanted these for rate of lay and white eggs
2 white silkies .............. for "cuteness" and pet
2 buff sex links.............Rate of laying and brown eggs
2 RIR's.........................Rate of laying and brown eggs
2 Buff Orph's................I had these before. I wanted again because of the rate of laying and brown eggs

Last edited:
I used to have some Buff Orpingtons from Ideal. I'd definitely recommend them. They were pretty birds, very docile and good layers. I can only find a picture of one of them and she was fairly young, but she grew up to be gorgeous for hatchery stock.

JillyBean.jpg

All mine are from Ideal. The buff Orps are calm, not lap chickens but do not panic when handled, and good layers. The RIR reds had been interbred a lot, I could see from feather color, plus they were small. They were roos bought for the freezer and they were mean as snakes. My best layers are the one brown Leghorn, fearful and flighty as is typical of leghorns, and the black Australorps, which are as calm and friendly as the Orps. My only two really friendly birds are Speckled Sussex.

There is nothing wrong with hatchery birds for eggs, but if you want all-around good quality birds, you must buy from a good breeder. For example there is a RIR breeder near me. His birds are much larger and darker than the Ideal ones were, and do not have that irregular coloring. But good breeder birds are also not as good for layers; they lay fewer eggs. Ideal breeds for laying. Your choice, of course.

I have read that hatchery RIR really should be called Production Reds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
She is pretty! Their being docile and good layers is the most important. I am not going to show.

Quote:
I have heard that about hatchery RIR more like PR too. What you mentioned about them being inbred is something I would not like. I am not going to show, but I want something that is genetically ok. I would not want something that does not lay well, or has been inbred to the point of being smaller or deceased lifespan.

My good friend recommended Ideal because she had good luck with them. So, my first order came from Ideal.

My second order is due Thursday or Friday. I ordered Leghorns & Americana's and they are healthy & beautiful! I expect the second order to be also!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom