1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ideal hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Chickenlover88, May 28, 2007.

1. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    I just ordered 2 geese and a duck from them. How often do they add "chicks for warmth" and how many do they usually add? I really hope they didn't add any to my order.

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I got 6 in my order and I have heard that others have gotten up to 8 or 9. I guess it just depends. [​IMG] Your babies will arrive better if they have these other warm bodies. I got 6 golden laced cochins. They were/are gorgeous. Just find someone to take them off your hands or keep them as pets or for the freezer.

3. Chickenlover88

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    Do they always send male chicks for warmth or do they send st. run?

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    They send males, but you might get lucky and have a pullet in the bunch. [​IMG] They aren't always 100% correct on their sexing.

5. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered 5 ducklings and 2 bantams last week and got exactly that -no extras. Perhaps it depends on where you are; I'm in the Bay Area in California and it's been plenty warm lately.

Good luck with your geese & duck! [​IMG]

(By the way, how did you manage to get the total to $25 with just those three?)

6. Chickenlover88

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    The minimum was 20 when I ordered and it ended up being 28.60 geese are expensive they are about 11-13 dollars each depending on the type, and with all the box charges and everything it was about 39.00 in the end. On the order page it says the minimum order is 20. I guess they changed it. I'm in Georiga and it has been very warm here so hopefully I don't get any extras. I don't have a place to brood chicks right now. I'm happy you didn't get any extras I hope I don't either.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  7. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I didn't know geese were so pricey!
    Good to know, and again, good luck with your birds!

8. janramsey

janramsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    Get ready!!! FOR ANYTHING!!!

I ordered 26 chicks (chicken chicks) I got 28 chicks and 1 duck ....

All the chickens are doing well and growing like weeds.......lets just say I wasnt ready for a duck and it passed....

Good luck!!

9. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    I ordered 14 chicks and I am supposed to get them wednesday or thursday and I am fully prepared for "packing chicks". I am kinda hoping that I get some. LOL [​IMG]
    I think I will since I live in Northern Minnesota and They have a long way to travel and the weather here has been unpredictable.
    Kristyne

10. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I have 10 birds coming on the 13th, osent matter to me whether they send extras or not, but very curious to find out what i get!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by