IDEAL Order

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paceysgl5, Jan 21, 2011.

1. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    I just cancelled my two orders from Meyer and Cackle (due to Meyer not having EE's until May and Cackles 5 min/breed requirements, I ordered 5 EEs at Cackle and the rest at Meyer) and placed 1 order at IDEAL Poultry. Advice? Happy with this decision?? I like the fact that they'll all come in 1 order, but I DON'T like the fact I'll get 10 free males as packing material. I've asked them to tag the males so I know. Any advice on what to do? Thanks.

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I love my EEs from Ideal. They've ALWAYS made it very obvious which ones the males are, too, so you don't have to worry about that.

ETA: You can always give the males away free on Craigslist - I'm sure someone will want them.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    those ten free packing materials are there to make sure the others arrive alive...there just isn't enough heat in there for them to make it...they are free...you might be able to make a buck or two on them

4. paceysgl5

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    I've asked them to tag the males, bc I figure it'll be AT LEAST a few weeks before we know who's who. Has anyone had success with this?? (Their tagging, or figuring out who the 10 males are).

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    The males are usually a different breed - mine were Australorp males. It was VERY obvious who was who.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I love Ideal. When have you asked for delivery? If you order now, to get the best selection, but ask that they do not ship until the warmer months, you can do away with having males added for packing peanuts/warmth.

Simply ask that no males be included for warmth and be willing to pay the couple extra dollars it will cost you for postal insurance. I wouldn't attempt this except in the warmer months, but it's how I got from Ideal exactly what I wanted, with no extras.

I know it's hard containing your excitement about getting chicks, but if you get them in the wintertime be prepared to have them in the house alot longer vs. spring or summertime and be aware that chicks create an ungodly amount of dust and smell; no matter how clean you keep their brooder.

Teri from Ideal is a BYC member and she's wonderful to deal with. You can PM her right here on the forum and I'm sure she'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck to you! [​IMG]

7. paceysgl5

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    They are hatching Feb 9th. We plan for them to be inside for about 10 weeks (original orders were to arrive around March 23rd, and we were planning on them being inside for 6 weeks, but I think we will have to extend that to 10 weeks or so now. Thanks for the tips.

We decided to add 10 more pullets (5 buff orps, 5 EE's) and will sell them once we are sure all arrive alive. [​IMG]

8. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I have ordered from Ideal and had a great experience! The 25 ordered came and found 5 add ins for warmth, all were very healthy. I raised them to 10 weeks and did not lose a single one! Only 2-3 had pasty butts and only had to clean them 3-4 times that first week. I was shocked that I kept them alive as this was my very first attempt at raising day old chicks of any type. I think it was due to the good stock and proper shipping from Ideal that was the reason they thrived. I have ordered 20 more from them to arrive in mid March this spring. I cannot wait!

BTW, [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. roncrna

roncrna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    West Virginia
    I ordered from Ideal last September and didn't know they sent males for warmth until I opened the box. It was obvious to me which ones were the "males" except when they grew up most were actually hens. Lol.

10. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    Two packing cockerals in one of my ideal orders turned out to be two of my favorite roosters. One was a red cornish, a good and kind bird. If you use craigslist to give them away or sell them you may have a good experience as I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by