1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ideal poultry baby chicks!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by albird101, Jan 22, 2015.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    They Finnaly came early in the morning I have about 13 colored easter eggers and 11 packing peanuts, I ordered 15 easter eggers but I'm guessing I have some yellow eeaster eggers since there blending in with the packing peanuts, [​IMG] what could the yellow chicks be? And one of the packing peanuts isn't doing so well but overall they seem to be nice and healthy

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to separate the weaker chick from the others - maybe put in a small box inside the brooder so it won't get trampled. If you have polyvisol( NO IRON infant drops you could give a drop or two about 3 times a day. Put the drop just inside the beak so the chick can push it out if it doesn't accept it. You wouldn't want drops to get aspirated into the lungs.

Give the baby a small stuffed toy to cuddle with. Put a little sugar in the water to entice it to drink more. Be sure to check often that it isn't too hot or cold in the isolation box. Some chicks have a harder time hatching or could be the youngest of the chicks and needs a chance to catch up.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined.

The yellow chicks may be White Plymouth Rocks or White Leghorns. They are also likely to be cockerels.

Good luck with the chicks!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Cute chicks! Good luck with them.

5. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome! I hope they all are well and thriving in no time! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. 2menhomestead

2menhomestead New Egg

May 22, 2014
    Byars Oklahoma
    I placed a order of 13 gray silkies and 12 self blues due to be shipped the 20th. I've never ordered from ideal and I am excited to see what I get with a 25 chick total do you think I will get any extras? Also anyone ordered silkies from them before ? If so how was it?

9. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    well I think it depends with the wheather I ordered my chicks in the winter so they threw in extras for added warmth and since it's getting hotter I doubt they'll add few if any

10. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    Welcome to BYC !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by