Ideal Poultry - Males for Warmth

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by idealpoultry, Feb 13, 2008.

1. idealpoultry

idealpoultry Official BYC Community Sponsor

Sep 25, 2007
    Cameron, TX
    I see many of you are asking about the "males for warmth" and the magic number for adding them. I shipped some orders yesterday (and it was cold for Texas) with 12 chicks with no males added. We add straw to keep them warm. We will do this for any order! The customer must purchase insurance and realize that if they ask us not to include the males that we no longer guarantee live delivery. That is the reason for the insurance.

We really lose very few chicks in shipping. But I know to each of you, your chicks is what matters. We ship about 4 million a year and lose less than 1 percent. That is still 40,000 lost each year.

Just remember if you don't want males - just ask for insurance and tell them you do not want them. If you place your order online - just put the message in the comment section of your order blank.

Thanks,

Teri

1 person likes this.
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good to know, Teri! Thank you for posting this information.

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Thank you, Teri [​IMG]

It is so nice to have someone from the hatchery to be active on the board, and be willing to answer questions.

Dawn

4. mattmatts-momma

mattmatts-momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Hi Teri,

My order will ship tomorrow. I ordered 10, all pullets, no insurance. What are my chances that I will have males included and if so, how many?

I am also wondering how Ideal chooses the males that are sent along with your order for warmth. Do you usually send a male to go with any of the pullets ordered?

Our Georgia weather will be in the 60's during the day, but the nights will be colder I'm sure.

5. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    Teri, I have 8 pullets shipping today, They told me they will mark the roos, how will they mark them? What do I look for?

6. idealpoultry

idealpoultry Official BYC Community Sponsor

Sep 25, 2007
    Cameron, TX
    We mark them with a marker on the top of their head - unless it's a black chicken and then we mark it on the belly.

We send a breed that is a total different color of anything you ordered. That way - we generally don't have to mark them. If you order reds, we will send barred rock or australorps - somthing that different.

With just 10 chickens and not requesting that we don't put males there will probably be 5 -7 males.

Feel free to ask me any other questions yall have. I don't get on the board everyday but if you e-mail me at [email protected] I will answer you within a few hours.

Thanks,

Teri
    Ideal Poultry

7. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    Thanks Teri!

8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Thank you. I want to order from you in spring. I have enough males already lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by