Ideal Poultry Males for Warmth?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick Lover 1, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Chick Lover 1

Chick Lover 1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    So I ordered 4 Hens from Ideal poultry and I know they will send around 20 males for warmth but how do you know which ones are my hens and which ones are the extra males? Because I was planning on selling the male chicks for a dollar a piece so I don't have to raise so many but I don't want to sell a hen so how do you know which ones are which? Do they put a black dot on there head with sharpie or separate them or what?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You can ask Ideal to mark them, but your four chicks are normally a different breed than the packing peanuts, so it should be easy to see that you have four of one breed and 21 of the other. [​IMG]

3. Chick Lover 1

Chick Lover 1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    I forgot to mention my four hens are different breeds 1 White Leghorn, 1 Red Production and 2 RIR. So it wouldn't be that easy to tell them apart so I guess I should call and ask them to mark the males.

4. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    hmm can't help ya there. that's why i prefer mypetchicken.com when ordering chickedies [​IMG]

5. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    The box filler chicks they sent me were all the same colour and a different colour than all my chicks I ordered. I still wasn't sure so I called and asked for help identifing the chicks and they assisted me. You can ask them to mark them for you.

6. ChickadeeMom

ChickadeeMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    call ideal and request they be marked, i just got mine and they were all marked.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You ordered just 4 chicks from ideal? If I remember right they have a $20 minimum chick order and chicks are just a few bucks each. I ordered 16 chicks a few years ago and had no fillers. All made it and survived just fine.

8. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    MPC uses hatcheries, they are brokers.

9. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    I got 11 extra that all looked different than the 5 types I ordered. I dont know what they are yet but Im having trouble GIVING them away.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The way I do it - or did it - was to wait until it was warm enough in the spring. Then I ordered just what I wanted, requested that no males be added for warmth and also requested that extra straw be added to the box.
    That way I got just what I wanted (no extras) and the chicks arrived strong and healthy, not stressed from being cold during shipment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by