ideal poultry, new hampshire delivery questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chickn, Aug 16, 2008.

1. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i ordered chicks from ideal, first time with them, they all got here dead.
    they want to know if i want to reorder or get my money back.

my question is this, is new hampshire just too far from ideal (texas?) for the chicks to actually make the trip? i dont want to kill any more babies.
    i have texas ? because honestly i didnt go pick up the chicks, the post office called and said they were dead and he disposed of them for me at my request. i just couldnt go and pick up that box [​IMG]
    thanks

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

If a company cannot ship chicks safely to your area, then they should not claim they can. What a horrible thing to happen!!!!!!!!! Sounds like someone let them get to hot or banged around. I think I would have shipped them back at their expence and asked for my money back! That is uncalled for.
    Good luck.

3. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    they think maybe the postal service routed them a different way then they are normally taken because it took longer for them to arrive than usually too,
    i am assuming that they would not send chicks to nh if it is a common problem, i just dont know what to do. i am so upset

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    It should be no problem to have chicks shipped to you, something must have happened to them on the way. I would have them re-ship and if they show up "dead" again, go down and see for yourself. By the way, it is not the hatchery's fault for them geting there dead. The hatchery gives the box to the carrier and then it is up to the carrier to get them there safely. If the carier does something wrong it has nothing to do with the hatchery. I would not send them back at their expense nor look at it as "uncalled for". It is not as if they put a bunch of dead chicks in a box. [​IMG] I am in MA and had chicks sent to me from Texas a couple years ago and they got here just fine.

5. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    i have had two successful shipments from ideal and I live in maine. I'm so sorry this happened to you. i would think you could try again. Maybe the heat near texas was the issue? It's certainly been comfortable here in maine. Good luck, sorry about your babies!

6. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i did not blame hatchery at all, i think i was caught off guard since it has never happened to me, i get chicks a few times a yr,
    so i called the hatchery and they refunded my money, i just couldnt do it again so soon. i need some recovery time! it was hard.
    thanks for your imput it was helpful, good to know they made it to maine, maybe i will wait a few weeks, or jan/feb? not sure yet.

7. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Quote:I know you didn't, someone else on the thread did and I just thought it should be clarified. Hatcheries are not flawless but they sometimes get a lot more blame put on them then deserved.

8. Julie's Silkies

Julie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Gloucester, Virginia
    Sorry for your lose. I'm in Virginia and ordered 16 silkies from ideal, They left on Wednesday and I got them today.
    They were all safe and sound, I think it's just something that happens.

I would try it again.

9. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Someone here from Mich.? Missouri? had chicks from Ideal arrive in roughly 24 hours? just last week. I live 3 hours away from Ideal and it has taken 2 days both times I have ordered. This last time - out of 40 chicks I only had 1 DOA All others are still happy/healthy and growing quickly! I would lay blame on the P.O. possibly re-routing them for some reason. Bad weather along the way perhaps? Could be any number of reasons. I have been very pleased with Ideal's stock and their shipping methods.I hate that for some reason it takes 2 days to travel 300 miles but I am assuming they ship to me by truck since there is no larger airport here and the fact that I truly/realistically am a drivable distance so I suspect they travel by truck the whole way. Don't even want to guess how many routing stops they make along the way here either!My guess is they travel much further and then turn around and come back [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Edited to fix spelling

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  10. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I order from Ideal all the time with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by