Ideal Poultry - pics of chicks and chickens from there?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by carikermoon, Mar 11, 2015.

1. carikermoon

carikermoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    Bedford TX
    I picked up three Ameraucanas chicks from the feed store which gets their supply from Ideal Poultry. One is yellowish, one brownish, and the other a reddish brown. I am curious to get an idea of what they will look like as adults. Ideal only has a single drawing and no photographs of the breed in its many color combinations. Does anyone have chicks from there? Does anyone have adults from those chicks? Would anyone care to share pics of their Ideal Poultry birds?

2. carikermoon

Jun 11, 2014
    Bedford TX
    Pics of my Ameracauna chicks from Ideal Poultry. The biggest is yellowish:
    [​IMG]
    A week and two days later, here is the brown one (sorry for the bad lighting, she's much lighter than the pic would indicate):
    [​IMG]
    And finally, the reddish-brown chick:
    [​IMG]

3. Ontario chick

Ontario chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Most Hatcheries sell Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas, so they will not be a standard color.
    I have seen some of the adult birds and they are quite spectacular looking variety, anywhere between Partridge, Golden pencilled and Ginger red, all the way to Golden Phoenix - very pretty birds and generally better layers then pure Ameraucanas.

4. carikermoon

Jun 11, 2014
    Bedford TX
    Yes, I figured that they were not truly Ameraucanas but Easter Eggers--but I like the fact that they will not look like each other or any of my other chickens (buff silkie, white silkie. FBCM, CCL, and a tiny bantam EE). But for the life of me, I am going nuts trying to guess what they will look like as adults. The yellow one has lovely puffy cheeks--much more pronounced than her sisters. The Ideal Poultry adult drawing looks rather like a blue wheaten colored Ameraucanas but I don't think any of the three will be bluish. It would be fabulous to have one gold, one partridge, and one ginger!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by