Ideal Poultry?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Finny, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Does anyone have any feedback about ordering ducklings from Ideal Poultry?

2. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I am interested also. They have great prices on advertised specials. They usually run about $2.50 for straight run assorted.

3. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i m not saying all hatcheries are bad but i got me some chicks from one one time i dont want to say the name to make any one mad but all my chicks die but one and now he is a rooster and he will flog me every time i go out

4. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    NEVER ORDER FROM IDEAL POULTRY
    NEVER ORDER FROM IDEAL POULTRY

#1 of 2
    3 minutes ago
    Finny
    I recieved an order of ducklings today and I was shocked and very upset by what I saw. I had ordered 6 ducklings but littering the floor of the box were at least 11 dead chicks. The ducklings were all alive but one. My guess is that the farm porously put the dead chicks in the box. They also promised the box would be inaulated and it was not. I feel heartbroken about all the dead chicks. If I had know they were going to do this I would never have ordered the ducklings. Here are some pictures as proof. Does anyone know if there is a place where I can report this farm? I believe what they did is inhumane and terrible.

#2 of 2
    a few seconds ago
    Finny
    And again the name of the farm is IDEAL POULTRY.
    BackYard Chickens would like to say thank you
    to our site Sponsors!

PreviewReply
    Ducks

5. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    I also had a heartbreaking experience with Ideal. A friend wanted some Pekins and I only wanted 3 snowy Mallard females so we went in on an order together. When they arrived, all of the Pekins were fine, but all 3 of my little snowy babies were cold and dead. They had lots of "packing peanuts" (RIR babies), most of which were okay as well (my friend kept them too, I think out of probably 8-10 of them only 1-2 died). I felt just sick, and when I called them to report it they offered to send more. Why on earth would I want to essentially KILL more of these precious little babies?! They obviously weren't going to make it on their own if they didn't make it with so many others in there for heat the first time.
    I ended up sexing the regular mallards myself at my local TSC instead. I will never have ducklings shipped to me ever again from ANY hatchery, that's for sure. I can't risk that much heartbreak again. :(

7. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    I agee it was absolutly heartbreaking

8. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I have to say I have serious reservations about shipping any live animal... I just have fears that the animals would arrive dead. I just don't think they are kept in ideal tempatures in transit and they might be thrown about etc.

9. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    My past experiences with ordering ducks was excellent. I had ordered them from Metzer Farms and i guess i just expected that Ideal would be just as good. I guessed wrong and will never order from them again.

10. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Well local options seem pretty slim where I am at... but the feed stores and Tractor Supply should get chicks, ducks, and maybe rabbits in in another month so maybe thats just when my area picks up. It's still kind of cold right now, but if I do have to order from a hatchery I will look for one in this state or a border state. That way we can minimize travel time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by