Ideal Production chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Enneirda., Oct 3, 2011.

1. Enneirda.

Enneirda. New Egg

Dec 13, 2010
    Hello all! Glad to meet you. [​IMG]

I'm the younger sister of Cricketofthesea (Her baby chick post with pics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=566231)

I have a question about our production white chick. It's now four weeks old, and it's comb is scaring me lol. The production black's comb is about half this ones size, and I'm afraid it's a male. It's the most outgoing and loves to jump around on people, always comes running to 'meep' even if it can't see me, leads the flock, and is quite pushy. I love this baby. But I really don't want a male, we had ordered a girl for a reason!

So, what do you think?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    At 4 weeks, definitely a boy. Sorry. [​IMG]

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    roo, no doubt.

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    A rooster and he's a pretty fella too

5. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    4 weeks with that comb, WOW! I'm not good at this, but Roo!

6. Enneirda.

Enneirda. New Egg

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks guys. I had hoped, but really I knew. Anyone in the houston area want him? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  7. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Don't give 'him' away yet.
    I had a hen that looked just like that. She had a huge crown that flopped over! We took her to the vet's one day and everyone who saw us said, 'look - a rooster'
    And we had to explain that a large red crown did not mean she was a rooster. People were incredulous.
    Wait until it crows or lays an egg!~

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    unfortunately no female gets a comb like that at 4 weeks, even ones who later in life end up with a massive comb. You can also tell it's a male from the thick legs and the slow feather development on the shoulders. If you look at his sisters at the same age, they'll have full feather coverage where he doesn't. Sure sign of male.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The huge comb, thick legs, enormous wattles, and that tell all stance. Cock a doodle do.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thats a roo. if you look around his neck you can see pointy slinder feathers they arent that easy to see but they are there which means its a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by