Ideal question.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CBee, Jan 29, 2009.

1. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    I'm just about to place an order in Ideal for 5 Plymouth Rock pullets, 5 Orphington pullets, and 5 Ameraucana pullets.

15 pullets...I figure I'll only be keeping maybe 1 or 2 of each, but I wanted extras in case of accidents.

The question is, with 15 pullets, will they still stuff cockerels in for warmth? I'm okay with this, as I can easily give them to the local farmers, but I'm just wondering if they will also be in my order.

2. Edfewlass

Edfewlass Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Callahan Fl
    Quote:Yes mine all came in one box good luck with the new chicks

3. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I guess it depends. With my 1/7 order, I got 18 chicks and they gave me 8 extras. I was pretty suprised. My second order shipped out yesterday and I didn't get them today, so I don't know how many males I will get, but I ordered 12 chicks this time (actually 10, but getting 2 free replacement pullets)

4. Nathan

Nathan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Camas, WA, USA
    Related question:

When they send males as packing peanuts, can you easily tell them from the rest of your order? Or do you have to wait for them to grow up?

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

its not always males,, just usually lol,, and they are usually black with a white dot on the head,,,, and they try not to have less then 25 or so birds in a box.

6. CBee

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks for the good luck, I'll need it for their flight over here.

I just placed the order. I'm excited now! [​IMG]

7. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:When you place your order with them you can ask them to 'mark' the ones you have bought. For instance the last time I bought from them I bought 6 brantams. Three different breeds and two of each breed. I asked them to mark each breed and they did. I could tell which ones I ordered and which ones were 'packing peanuts.' I'll look around in my pictures and try to find one for ya.

Here ya go..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. CBee

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Quote:When you place your order with them you can ask them to 'mark' the ones you have bought. For instance the last time I bought from them I bought 6 brantams. Three different breeds and two of each breed. I asked them to mark each breed and they did. I could tell which ones I ordered and which ones were 'packing peanuts.' I'll look around in my pictures and try to find one for ya.

Here ya go..

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s32/havi_13/newchicks.jpg

How cute! [​IMG]

That was a good idea though. Too bad I already placed the order.

9. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:I think you can still ask for them to mark them. Just call them up with your order number or whatever and ask if its not too late for them to do it. Ive ordered a couple of times from them and I always find its better to call, it seems to get things done faster. It wouldnt hurt to just ask.

10. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

The question is, with 15 pullets, will they still stuff cockerels in for warmth? I'm okay with this, as I can easily give them to the local farmers, but I'm just wondering if they will also be in my order.

I ordered 16 pullets last year got 6 extras 4 roos (BRs) and 2 pullets (CMs) ( [​IMG] ) only problem my one of my EEs was missexed so I ended up with 5 roos. One died a couple weeks ago [​IMG] , 2 are separated waiting to be butched and 2 are in with the main flock.​

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by