Ideal sent the wrong chick - what is this one?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amamaofmany, May 2, 2009.

1. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    I was supposed to get two brown sex links, but I only got one. We've ID'd every other hen in that order, but this one has us stumped as she isn't one of any of the breeds I ordered (which are listed in my signature) She isn't showing any real signs of being a roo, no dark red on her face or wattle formation, although "she" could be slow to develop, I suppose.

Any ideas what this bird's breed could be? She is pretty, though, and incredibly sweet and good natured.

We've named her Shirley, hoping she stays a her, so to speak!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a chick, she was mostly yellow with chipmunk stripes and didn't look particularly red.

Any ideas?

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I think she is an EE, that has RIR blood in it.

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I think she looks like a red sex-link... though I've never seen any other pictures where they have some partridge feathers like she does. She's pretty!

4. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Could she be that spanish breed: the "pollo loco"?

[​IMG]

5. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I agree she is some type red sex link, cherry egger, etc.
    Wrong color feet for an ee

6. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    We've been very surprised by her color, too. We had 9 production red males sent as packing peanuts, and she was not at all red like they were, she was mostly yellow and brownish. As she's feathered out, though, her colors came in so lovely, all those reds and browns and greys. And that tan face!

She doesn't look much like our other two easter eggers, although neither of those two are colored alike. One looks like a light brown hawk and the other is pure white. But both have the green legs and the pea comb and are now getting their first curling cheek feathers. Shirley doesn't have the same pea comb, she lacks the curling cheek feathers and has yellow legs, so I've been ruling out EE. But EEs are mutts, so who knows!

They are now 5 and a half weeks old, if that helps.

She sure is a Pollo loco!

Edited because I wrote 'rose' when I meant 'pea' - or is that the other way 'round. Noobs! oy!

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  7. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    Still wondering if anyone has an idea of what this pullet might be?

[​IMG]

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

To me she looks like a mixed breed RIR, because of the coloring on her wing feathers matches my RIR cockerels but the head seems different colored.

The one that I have that was "supposed" to be a RIR pullet, turned out to be a red sexlink I think, and she's got white on her wings instead of those blackish edge designs.

check out this guy's wing coloring: sorry it's blurred, they move so fast!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  9. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    To me she looks like a mixed breed RIR, because of the coloring on her wing feathers matches my RIR cockerels but the head seems different colored.
    The one that I have that was "supposed" to be a RIR pullet, turned out to be a red sexlink I think, and she's got white on her wings instead of those blackish edge designs.
    check out this guy's wing coloring: sorry it's blurred, they move so fast!!

Wow! Did you get yours from a hatchery, too?

Since mine came from Ideal, I've been looking for an actual breed I could identify, or at least enough attributes to say, she's probably an EE.

I wonder if anyone else has ordered from Ideal and gotten a total mystery like Shirley?​

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Last edited: May 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by