1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ideal Surprise Special

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by CDennis, Nov 27, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Has anyone ordered the Ideal surprise special either straight run or pullet? I was impressed with another order from Ideal and I have been temped by the prices of this special.

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Our pullet order came this past week..I use them for my layers here. 54 chicks shipped 53 were alive and all doing very well. I chose them now because they are only hatching a few breeds right now which are all good layers.I wouldn't order it in the Spring when I could get some of the other breeds though that don't lay well. I got 5-6 breeds in my box and that's it...what I wanted with lots of bsl's which I was really needing-my BR hens are busy with a different roo now.
    I have had mixed results with Ideal..one entire order was always sickly...2 breeds in there but then have had them that thrive.In general I use all the hatcheries when I need hatchery stock-who ever is the cheapest.

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I just ordered the standard pullet surprise special and it is due to ship the 8th. [​IMG] I am splitting the 30 chick order with a friend. What kinds of chicks did they send? We can't wait and are hoping for some good egg layers.

I'd love to hear what everyone got!!

Shelly

4. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    I ordered the special 8 weeks ago and got:
    8 brown leghorns
    6 white rocks
    6 gold laced wyandottes
    2 turkens
    2 dark cornish
    1 barred rock
    1 unidentified black one

This was the third lot I have gotten from Ideal and all but 3 chicks have lived. * knocking wood * I have had wonderful luck with them.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:All great layers!

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I ordered the 100 chick special last spring, received I think 113 (been a while, think that's right.) Lost two during brooding and a couple more for no reason I could see when around 3 - 4 months old. Had around 5 - 6 with crossed beaks and one with spraddle leg which I processed at around 2 months old. Otherwise all were healthy hatchery stock. So we raised to maturity around 102, so great odds.
    None are show birds of course, and we only kept the 2 silver Campine hens. We buy a few hundred to sell each year locally along with the ones we raise ourselves.

we received;
    2 silver Campine hens
    1 buff colombian Cochin roo
    1 white Leghorn roo
    2 white roos with black spots (Maybe California greys?)
    1 pretty little hen I think is a Welsummer
    2 black hens (Most likely black Autstralorps)
    around 10 black sex links (Both sexes)
    around 50 red chickens (New Hampsire, Rhode Island, Sex links, etc..)
    several barred Rocks
    Several dark Cornish
    a few buff Orpingtons
    a few others that I couldn't identify.

7. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the responses!! It is making me even more excited!! I can't wait! It feels like Christmas! [​IMG]

Shelly

8. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i live in hawaii and some hatcheries wont even ship out here in the summer never mind winter - but ideal will!! i have not ordered chicks yet.. [​IMG] but my chicken guy that i buy most of my chickens from only orders from ideal and loves them! i have 4 barred rock hens, 3 EE's (all around 25+weeks) i think we might be getting 1 of our 2 eggs from the EE's??? we also have 1 barnevelder pullet 12wks old all from him ipso facto from ideal (sorry [​IMG]' dodgeball!) my 4 BR are my faves, they love to eat out of my hand!! we also have a few other chickens from unknown
    whereabouts [​IMG]'. lol but i am pretty sure when i am ready to order chicks of my own it will be from ideal [​IMG]

9. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    I think many more people would but the surprise special if they would take the time to tell you what breed they sent you on the order ticket. I hate having to guess! How hard would it be for someone to write the breeds on the order ticket as they packed the box? It would still be a surprise because you would not know the breeds included until you got your chicks....just a thought, this is the main reason I don't order.

10. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:We're planning on getting out our catalogs and a few "chicken friends" and see what we can figure out. It is going to be difficult! There are several chicks that look similar as babies.

Since we ordered 30, I am wondering if they will send packing peanuts, and if so, will they be marked differently?? Only 4 more days!!!

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by