Ideal vaccine and other ?'s

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MandiB, Feb 12, 2014.

1. MandiB

MandiB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    I have put 12 baby chicks in my cart at Ideal. I am SW of Austin, so if Ideal ships to me I can get them quickly (I'd drive, but we have a puppy and 2 hours to and 2 hours back is a bit much for him to be alone).

My first question is...I had been thinking of only 8 chickens in total. But after reading this site it seems at least one or two, or very sadly, more, die when still babies. Hence the 12 instead of 8. Is this overkill? Should I just order 8 or 10?

Since I am going with Ideal, I was unsure as to vaccinations. They don't recommend for small flocks. Is my flock small? I don't know! I don't have any other fowl. I've read the page on Mareks and what can happen, but again, Ideal doesn't recommend for a small flock. What does everyone else do who are purchasing just a few?

I have put RIR, BR, SW, BO, BA and surprise! pullets in my little chick cart, 2 of each. I'm just so excited about the idea of having a rainbow of chickens! My coop is going to be 8x12, delivered this weekend, so I should be ok on space.

I'm sure this is not news to anyone here, but I don't even have these chicks yet, but I am so excited I'm telling everyone about my future chickens including my hairstylist today who already wants to buy some eggs!

2. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    If your going to have the chicks shipped, I'd order 10 to be on the safe side. As for the vaccinations, you don't have to get the vaccinated, but It wouldn't hurt to get them vaccinated. Your flock is (in my opinion) called a small flock. Your coop is plenty big enough as well. Hope this helps.

3. MandiB

Dec 25, 2013
    Thank you! I had just these few questions and couldn't find answers elsewhere.

4. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    Your welcome.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Are you aware that you'll likely receive a dozen male chicks with that size order?

6. MandiB

Dec 25, 2013
    It's not very cold here. Warming up this week, so I thought maybe one or two at most. They have a $25 minimum order, and I've just redone it and 10 chicks puts me at $28.

7. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    You could also request for them to not include the roosters if you really don't want them

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Even in the summer they aim for 25ish chicks for shipping. If you don't want the males you'll need to contact them and arrange for the heat packs or whatever else they do for shipping small lots.

9. aekennedy

aekennedy New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    I just received my order of 8 chicks from ideal. I'm in Arkansas so the temperatures here are close to yours. Ideal included 11 male chicks to keep my purchased flock warm. One of the larger male 'warmer' chicks dies enroute, but all of the purchased chicks arrived safe and sound. I did not have my chicks vaccinated since it's such a small flock

10. MandiB

Dec 25, 2013
    Oh my. I did not know they would include so many extra chicks! That makes me not want to mail order at all. Thank you all for letting me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by