Ideals 'Ameraucanas'

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by SunAngel, Jan 1, 2010.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I remember seeing a few people saying they ordered Ideals current 'Ameraucana' special. I was thinking about ordering some, but was wondering if they are all ending up the same color.

I already have one of the common gold/brown colored Easter Eggers and don't want to place the order and end up with 25 more. Anyone know if you get a variety of colors in the order?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    First of all Ideal's Ameraucanas are not real Ameraucanas, they are EE's.

A few times I've ordered them, about two years ago, I had all colors of the rainbow, browns, blacks, whites, blues, blue wheatons and partridges. What you have are probably the Wheaton colored or similar to Wheatons. Nice birds but wanted a variety of colors. They all laid well for my friend.

If you want assorted colored Ameraucanas, ask a few of the BYCers in here and I am sure they can help you out.

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I did call them Easter Eggers farther down in the post and titled them as 'Ameraucanas' with the marks, because I know thats just what they call them and not what they really are [​IMG] Sorry if I was unclear.

I have B/B/S Ameraucanas already and 2 EEs, but I want a few more EEs, plus some to resell. Plus I am in chick withdrawal and can't place a real order for another few weeks.

I know a few people have posted pics of their EEs from hatcheries and some got various shades of white, blue, black, etc...most mixed in with the Wheaten coloring.

I was just curious if the people that have ordered the current ones on sale got any colors other than the gold/browns.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I've order large numbers of EEs from Ideal and always get a mix of colors.

Most recently in November I got 15 EEs in a total order of 25 chicks. At first glance, the chicks appeared to be 2 basic colors....mostly yellow down and the typical 'chipmunk' brown coloring. Now that they're 6 weeks old and feathered out, there are actually 6 color combinations in the mix! Everything from white, yellow/white, gold/brown, black/gold, golden yellow, partridge. The most I have of one color are 4 of the gold/brown. The rest are 2 or 3 of each color.

edit: typo

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    i will get a pic and post it tomorrow for you but i got a bunch of different colors i have one that i thank is a little towards the blue side, but i know of at least one that was suppose to be and EE and lays a brown egg.

6. kman

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    hear are a few of my EE's form ideal

both of the roosters are EE the white one with a little yellow is my favorite roo of the whole bunch of EE's but he has got to go and i hate that but o well live goes on
    [​IMG]

the hen in the middle is a blue hen i know she looks black in the pic my camera is not that good

[​IMG]

the buff hen in middle is a EE this is the hen that lays a brown egg
    [​IMG]

The two white hens and rooster are EE
    [​IMG]

hope that helps you see the color combination you may get, as a note most are white with black or red

7. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Ok, in the first pic the roo with the single comb is not an EE, it has white legs and is most likely a cross, the blue hen in the second pic is not an EE either because she has a SC and in the 3rd that could possibly be an EE but not sure and in the last pic the roo is not an EE(maybe cross but no green legs) and the hens most likely are because of there green legs

8. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I ordered 100 EEs from Cackle hatchery and got a wide variety of really nice colors. They call them ameraucanas but there is no hatchery on the planet that I am aware of that sells true ameraucanas. The birds I ordered were very nice. I have ordered EEs from Ideal as well. They were also very nice but seemed that most were the typical gold/brown EEs.

9. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Wow, 100 EEs, I would love that! lol

I have gotten 2 EEs from Ideal and 2 from McMurray and all 4 were the same golden coloring. I wondered if maybe ordering the 25 would get me a variety of colors, but not sure its worth the chance. I might have to check with a couple BYC'ers that breed EEs and see if I can get on a list.

Thanks for the pics and help!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  10. kman

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    Quote:Ok, in the first pic the roo with the single comb is not an EE, it has white legs and is most likely a cross, the blue hen in the second pic is not an EE either because she has a SC and in the 3rd that could possibly be an EE but not sure and in the last pic the roo is not an EE(maybe cross but no green legs) and the hens most likely are because of there green legs

maybe they are not but they came from ideal, i do not know if they or cross are not but they lay green/ blue eggs, and that is what i wanted the roosters are going to go anyway all i am keeping is the hens. o and none of their legs are green they are black just like my australorp mix, ok so if they are cross what are they you think

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by