ideals Black East India ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cochin123, Oct 20, 2009.

1. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    Does any have pics of them???? Are they calm; is it ok to do 4h with them? If not does any body have a suggestion, any help would help a lot! [​IMG]

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I think they would be great to show in 4H. As far as where to buy them I would buy them from a breeder rather then a hatchery

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    They would be great for 4-H because they tame pretty easily and can be trained to be held in your hand....here are some pics of mine [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

You all know how much I go on about my runners. How they aren't like all the other timid scaredy cat runners that everyone else posts about. Well, I brought home two runners and two black east indies this week, and OMG the difference in the way they act is unbelievable. The indies were calm during the entire transport. I could look in at them and they just laid there staring back at me. The first night I kept everyone crated inside. The indies ate and drank and made cute little squeaks. The runners did no such thing. The slept standing up, they acted like I was the devil himself, ready to put them in the cookpot. They didn't eat or drink either. In the morning when I let everyone out. The runners quickly ran to the other runners and wouldn't have anything to do with me. In contrast, the indies walked out of their crate, calmly looked around, walked past me to the food and then walked back by me to the pond.

It got me thinking... maybe my runners are like everyone elses and I just never had anything to compare them to.

Oh yeah, the point. I think BEI's would be a great project!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by