Ideal's packing peanuts...

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
So we just ordered 25 chicks from Ideal. Apparently that is the quarter box amount, and we can expect males as packing peanuts. Has anyone done this, and if so, how many extras will they pack?? Also, what breed were they?

If you are ordering a full quarter of a box you will likely not get any packing peanuts. They are mainly for smaller orders to keep the chicks warm. 25 chicks in a quarter box will already be rather full. I have always gotten packing peanuts in the past because I usually order only 8-10 chicks at a time. They were usually male sex link breeds. I never kept them for longer than a few days to know for sure what they turned out like. I just always gave them away on craigslist as they were full sized chickens and I only have bantams.

Last year, Linda (gryeyes on BYC) ordered a pair of goslings from Ideal. They were packed with a bunch of Rhode Island red roosters.

As Linda already has many roosters, we went and got them & have been eating them. They're way yummy.

Went and got 4 more roosters from her last night (two of them were the last 2 packing peanuts from last summer). Their names used to be "Riley" and "Not Riley". We are calling them "Enchiladas" and "Kung pao".

Last year, Linda (gryeyes on BYC) ordered a pair of goslings from Ideal. They were packed with a bunch of Rhode Island red roosters.

As Linda already has many roosters, we went and got them & have been eating them. They're way yummy.

Went and got 4 more roosters from her last night (two of them were the last 2 packing peanuts from last summer). Their names used to be "Riley" and "Not Riley". We are calling them "Enchiladas" and "Kung pao".

LOL, that's probably what we'd do with extras...

25 is a full quarter so you'll probably not get extras.

I ordered 8 silkies, 8 cornish x, and 3 turkeys from them one year, got no peanuts. It was early spring so I'm sure they didn't have too many they had to "rid of" vs later in the year.

i've always gotten packing peanuts 3-5 of them eaither of the same breed/s i ordered or a different breed one turned out to be a black assuie

Last year I had two orders that included extras AKA packing peanuts. The first was 10 different pullets and got 10 Black/Blue/Splash Cochin roosters as packing peanuts. Sold 9 of them for $2 each and kept one, which turned out beautiful and very sweet. The second was 25 assorted bantams they sent 27, so just 2 extra bantams thrown in. Now this year I'll be curious what they send since I have 37 chicks, 4 ducklingss, and 2 goslings in one order.

Back
Top Bottom