Ideals Red Broilers, Have you had them?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BookWorm243, Dec 27, 2010.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I was looking at getting Ideals red broiler but wanted to hear every one else's thoughts on them.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Had them, have them still. Good birds. Kept some hens back for breeding. They actually lay pretty good, . I have one hen that consistantly lays big double yolkers. Yum. Put some roos in the freezer. Good meaty birds. Breast are longer than a cornish x but have quite a bit of meat. Not as "plump" in the breast, but alot more thigh and leg. I like them. Though there are alot more feathers to pluck than a cornish x. I did have two of my largest roos drop dead, not sure what went on there.

3. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    unless you really love double yolkers i'd cull that layer of the 2-yolks... she's no good to be held back for breeding.

maybe you already know that and are just fond of her... either way.. [​IMG]

4. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Well I've got them right now, and this is my first time having Freedom Rangers but its been too cold out and they're not getting the meat on them like they should be. They're 11 weeks old and the biggest one I have is a roo and he's only 4 lbs 10 oz. I also had trouble with Ideal because when I ordered they had an available date when I ordered but they weren't sent out until like a month later and now its freezing outside and they're not big enough. I'm having to hold them over til probably 16 weeks, I've also got CornishX from them at the same time and those didn't reach the ideal weight versus what the ones I got from the Welp cornishx got.

I swore I wouldn't buy from Ideal again, but I've had nothing but issues out of these birds compared to my batch from welp.

Maybe its just the time of year [​IMG] ?

ETA: I said the biggest one is 4 lbs 10 oz, but the rest except another roo are more like 2-3 pounds... some of the hens are even smaller I'm sure. My RIR's are bigger than a few of them... so dissappointed.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I just finished butchering my first ever Freedom Rangers. They grew so fast and became huge. They reminded me of veloceraptor.
    They were from Freedomrangerhatchery.
    I fed 24% protein flock raiser till 8 weeks then switched to 15%.
    Killed 3 at 6 weeks - they averaged 3 lb. 1.3 oz.
    At 8 weeks they were 4 lbs.
    At 12 weeks they were 5 lbs. 5 oz.
    They were on pasture from 3 weeks on - they didn't like snow much though.
    I was very pleased.

6. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:do you feed soy-free?

7. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks everyone!
    I was going to go with freedom rangers but for what I need Ideal is cheaper.

Kooltex: do they have any leg problems?

8. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010

I feed them purina's flock raiser since it's supposed be "all natural" and like 24% I think or 22%, only thing in my area. It did well last time I got chicks.

The ingredients says hulled soybean meal... is this bad to feed?

9. chickensrfood

chickensrfood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    I have a small group of 6 from ideal. They are now a little over a week old and there legs are swelling. Two are really large probably roosters. I am keeping these for some breeding crosses, but these did not grow like my CX from ideal and I had no leg issues luckily.

10. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado

I feed them purina's flock raiser since it's supposed be "all natural" and like 24% I think or 22%, only thing in my area. It did well last time I got chicks.

The ingredients says hulled soybean meal... is this bad to feed?

i don't feed soy but i wouldn't say it's "bad"...

i've just heard that growth rates may be slowed w/ a soy-free feed so i thought that may be your problem... [​IMG] i'm sorry you had bad luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by