1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ideal's red packing peanuts?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tracydr, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anybody had these packing peanuts? Any idea what breeds these are? It looks like some are growing out to look just like the red Broiler's, a couple are dark mahogany, RIR? A couple of scrawny ones, not sure what they are.
    I have a couple from my two week old order that are tiny, tiny. As little as the three Silky's that were a part of the order ( a replacement order) along with five Cornish X, could they be bantam RIR or something?
    I'm sticking everybody in the meaty grow out pen except the two tiny ones.
    There are a few pretty scrawny ones in there but some decently hefty ones as well. Just wondering, from other's experiences what red breeds I might be growing. I don't mind if they don't get huge, small ones can be "Cornish" game size for the dogs or stock pot. They will Be butchered if they start crowing obnoxiously or space is an issue. I'll let them out with the hens when I can if they behave.
    Interested in other's experiences since I have a bunch from two orders plus a friend's.

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    we bought 4 turkeys in late march this year.they arrived with 6 packing peanuts.

We still have two of the turks( the two others died of mysterious reasons) and 4 of the packing peanuts.Come to find out they are production reds.We have one red roo and three red hens( the other two were roos but got sent to freezer camp).

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They are always their extra roosters for the day. If you don't want roosters it stinks.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Roosters are fine, meat is meat. Just wondering what breeds they are. Would be great if some accidental hens slid through. So, these dark ones are probably production reds?
    Wow, you got some hens? How awesome! I wonder if my two itty bitty ones are hens?

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I just got some the other day and called them and was told they are production reds. I ordered ten pullets and got 11 packing peanuts.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I just got some the other day and called them and was told they are production reds. I ordered ten pullets and got 11 packing peanuts.

Did you actually want roosters? I would say that is excessive, considering it's not that cold out. If you only wanted girls and got more boys then you order, I'd be just a tad bit PO'ed. I get my girls from Meyer, as I can pick up and not get roosters I don't want, not a fan of all the noise.
    Michele

7. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT

Did you actually want roosters? I would say that is excessive, considering it's not that cold out. If you only wanted girls and got more boys then you order, I'd be just a tad bit PO'ed. I get my girls from Meyer, as I can pick up and not get roosters I don't want, not a fan of all the noise.
    Michele

I didn't really want them but now that they are here I will let them grow out and eat them. No one will want production red roosters here since there is an over abundance of roosters in our area so they will grow out and join the others in camp kenmore.

8. Marion565

Marion565 Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered 18 and didn't get any "packing peanuts" do figure. But you can tell Ideal if you don't want any extras, if you let them know they won't include any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by