Ideas about this hen's lack of feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by polyxenes, Sep 13, 2011.

1. polyxenes

polyxenes Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Hi, not an emergency, but my Ameraucana has bare skin. She's a regular layer and definitely not broody, any ideas what this might be?

[​IMG][/img]

I appreciate all ideas and suggestions!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:Have you checked for mites? Look around her vent area and under her wings.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Maybe molt?

Imp

4. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    don't know, but here's a bump!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with the other posters- check for mites and could be molt. Perfect timing for molt.

6. polyxenes

Sep 13, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Actually I found another hen (my other Ameraucana) with the same bald areas. I can find no mites anywhere on their bodies and nothing that looks suspicious - just no feathers. As a precaution, I checked the other hens and they all appear to be mite-free. I'll assume that they are starting to molt since I don't see critters on their skin or in their feathers.

Thank you all very much!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:You can give them high protein treats and make sure you are feeding a good solid feed during their molt to encourage new feather formation. (For example, make sure that you aren't giving too much scratch.)

8. polyxenes

Sep 13, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Thank you for the advice on high protein during molting, I'll do that. The hens haven't had scratch all summer (due to our intense heat), just Layena, table scraps and any unfortunate bug or lizard that ventured into the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by