1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ideas for a secure temporary coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jettgirl24, Nov 12, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Hi Guys,

We are currently renting a house and have run into a pretty major problem that may force us to move within the next month or so. The rear foundation of the house is sinking and there are serious moisture issues... Mildew under the floors and on the wall in our dapre bedroom [​IMG]

Aaaaanyway... I've got a great coop for my flock that we converted from an old dog run that is attached to the garage but if we move it can't come with us. I wouldn't worry too much about it if it were summer but since we're faced with moving in the dead of winter they are going to need shelter. On top of that it's supposed to be a very cold one this year. Boo!

Does anyone have ideas for an affordable (under $150), secure coop that I can put up in a day or two? I've got 7 hens and a roo so it will need to fit 8. It can be temporary, only needs to last until spring. I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap shed on CL because that seems like it would be by far the easiest route but so far no such luck, they're all too expensive or super shoddy looking.

Your help is greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    check craigslist for a calf hutch, they work great and its easy to doors on them, portable too

[​IMG]

these are the round ones, the others work also

easy to sell when your done with it

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    How about pallets scrap plywood and a piece of tin from the roof. Ive got my chickens in a shack of a building lol but i to cant afford a nice built one. So all we did was build a 5x5 by 4 ft high little coop. It was supposed to be temporary so ive got a tarp on it still need to upgrade to plywood sides. But it took us 2 hours to throw together. Pallets are free and easily found and if your lucky you can find free scrap plywood and tin.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

There are large dog houses that you can put doors on, and drill some ventilation holes. Just a thought.

5. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Thanks guys! The calf hutch is a great idea but I couldn't find any on CL in my area [​IMG]
    I see them out at the dairies all the time on my way out to the barn to ride my horse, maybe I'll stop and ask if they want to sell one or two.

Good idea with the pallets as well, there are plenty of those for free in the industrial district. That might be the way we go!

I'm okay with separating the chickens at night too so maybe if I can find materials to build two smaller coops and divide the flock in half that would work too... I could see that working with the doghouse idea.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I rent also and didn't want to build any extra shelters this year, so I made the greatest sheep hutch/run-in this year with cattle panels, T post, tarps and a cargo net(not necessary, could just use some nylon rope but I had one here already). If you needed insulation for this, one could just line the walls with straw or hay bales and fit the tarps down over this to keep dry. I doubt the whole thing costed me $90~I already had the cattle panels but I figured in the cost as if I had bought them new.

For the amount of chickens you have, one could get by with half the size of the shelter I built...so half that price! [​IMG]

I secured the whole thing with zip ties...those things are wonderful! We've had some very severe winds here and the thing just doesn't even flutter! Completely removable and reusable, sturdy and one can even sell those cattle panels later for a good price...they are indestructible.

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:hell, I wish I could have a "temporary coop" that big! [​IMG]

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:hell, I wish I could have a "temporary coop" that big! [​IMG]

best small coop I've ever found, keeps warm in the winter too. at my place they are 'overflow' coops

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by