ideas for brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nikki1, Oct 22, 2011.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    Hi!

I'm a chickenless newbie looking forward to the spring when I can build my coop and buy my chicks. This winter is for impatient planning! We are looking at all the resources for making our coop predator proof...Going with sort of a Fort Knox motif...but the brooder is an issue.

My problem is that:

1. Yeah, yeah, I know all about chicken math, but still I'm thinking I won't need a brooder every day of the week, so I don't want to go all fancy and expensive on it.

2. I have 2 cats that would see the little fluffies as chicken nuggets. Cats have their litter boxes in the garage with a kitty door. Could probably utilize the indoor laundry room with the door closed, but I worry about the kids accidentally leaving the door open. Also, the laundry room is also the pantry, which might be a little less than hygeinic.

My idea is this. Take a nice, deep Rubbermaid tub. Cut the center out of the lid, and cover it securely with heavy wire mesh, small enough to keep out paws. Get a light in there somehow. Would this be adequate? Would it work? Any ideas of how I could stick the mesh to the lid frame?

Is there a cat-owning chicken lover out there that can help me?

As an aside, I'm new to the site and something of a techno-idiot. Between the subject line and the smiley are some buttons. Even I understand "img", "quote" and "word link," but what on earth are B, I, and U?

[It is more comfortable to be insane and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.]

2. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    B, I, and U are bold, italics, and underline. [​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I'm sure there is someone out there with cats that will chime in but you idea of a rubbermaid bin is a good one! I've used this myself. I have some grates kinda like a cooling rack and I put on top of mine and just sit my lamp right on top of that!! Works great for me. Have brooded a couple of hundred chicks that way!! [​IMG]

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    First of all, [​IMG]

And don't worry too much about the brooder; just about anything can work.

The rubbermaid tub is fine; even a large cardboard box will work (that's what I am using).

If you've got a large dog crate, that'll work, too.

I would not keep it in the laundry/pantry room cuz after a couple of weeks, you'll have so much DUST that everything will be disgusting!

A good place to check out ideas for brooders is HERE.

You will find some good cat-proof ideas there.

[​IMG]

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

X2 I totally agree with AlienChick

6. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If you're getting one batch of chicks all at once you can just put a heat lamp in your coop and brood them there. No brooder needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by