Ideas for building a coop .

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MickInOhio, Feb 24, 2014.

1. MickInOhio

MickInOhio Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2014
    Guernsey County , Ohio
    I am a rookie at building things , but have the land, tools , energy and time to build. We want to start raising some chickens, maybe start with 6 for the purpose of eggs . No specific breed in mind but we have 2 small grandchildren that will be interacting with them eventually.

I would rather build too big than too small as we are not sure enough of our skill set to let them free range . I don't want to see them run off or get injured .

We went to our local Tractor Supply and was unimpressed with employee knowledge on this subject and materials they offer .

I've seen some great looking coops here on this site and just want to pick the brains of you all here.

Thanks in advance ,

Mick

2. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    First, build your coop on somewhat low land, the top of a hill is too exposed to winds and the foot of a hill can lead to drainage problems. The coop should be built large enough so that there is 3 square feet per bird on the coop. For six birds a eighteen square foot coop will do. There should ne nestboxes. One to every three or four hens. Next, a roost should be built raised off the ground. Allow eight inches of roost space per hen. You will want to have south facing windows to keep it warm in winter. Also, a ventilation window should be belt. Electricity is not necessary but can definitely help. If you have any other questions let me know I think I covered the important things.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sseckel

Sseckel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    I am also currently building a new coop, I am allowing 4 sq ft per bird (just my preference since my hens think contact with snow causes instant death, lol). I can't wait to see what suggestions people have on here. One thing I am excited about for my own coop is that I am building my nest boxes out of large old drawers that I bought at a habitat for humanity restore for $1 each. I am cutting out the back panel and putting them back on sliders so I can get the eggs without having a nest box that sticks out from the main coop or having to go inside the coop.

1 person likes this.
  4. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    I recommend building a coop bigger than you need right now. we built one just the size we needed when we started out with chickens. our experience was the chicken fever will hit and you feel the need to get more we had to add to our coop. now we are building another new coop. make sure roosts are higher than nest boxes.

1 person likes this.
  5. MickInOhio

MickInOhio Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2014
    Guernsey County , Ohio
    Thanks,, this site is loaded with good people and ideas . I am looking at least a 6x6 building , built up on 4x4's so the hens can have some shade underneath as well as placing feed and water underneath . On one post someone suggested using some sort of roofing sealant for the floor for easy clean up ? Wouldn't that be a bit toxic for the birds ?

I've seen nests built outside with a door for getting to the eggs easier. Anyone have any ideas about that ? Is it worth the extra labor to build ?

6. Jer7272

Jer7272 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    Depending on how handy you are, electricity is wonderful for a coop. I have a well automated coop, that has a power door, thermostat heat lamps, timed interior lights and motion detector lights on the exterior to light up the run and scare away predators.

I know my girls are spoiled but here in MN it sure is nice to have the sense of security that my hens are nice and cozy in their coop on those frigid winter days.

7. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    The roof coating is Black jack#57 and once dry works well, a cheap piece of linoleum works well also for cleaning, external laying boxes are great and worth building you don't want to be constantly getting poop feet trust me.

1 person likes this.
  8. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    yes the exterior nest box is worth it. it gives them more room in the coop plus makes getting the eggs easier for us. my old coop has box inside coop but the new one im building im planning to have external nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by