Ideas for egg laying boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixcoop, Jul 25, 2015.

1. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    I was wondering how to make egg laying boxes. I know about the wooden boxes, but what are some other ideas. I saw on byc that some person turned 5gal buckets and put them on wood racks, that looked like a great quick and easy way to make egg laying boxes. What are some other ways, and what are the best?

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    The best nest boxes are the ones that are built, sturdy and thoughtfully. However, I have used a ton of others things from crates to cardboard boxes, blankets, plastic cartons, plastic buckets, metal trash cans on their sides, and more. Usually the hens chose the nests and I just clean it up and put more hay in it. I memorize where the hidden nests are and collect eggs from them daily.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

I was new to this last year and no skill to make nests, so I use old drawers and 14" garden pots, worked out great! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Anything about a foot square or foot in diatmeter and a foot deep makes a good nesting box. It may need to be slightly smaller for shy bantams or larger if you have hens that all lay at once. More than 3 in one area seems pointless as I have not seen more than 2 used when you have 4-8 in one spot

5. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    I have the buckets and my chickens like getting in them. I have them screwed to a board. They still were a little wobbly until I put a rock on either end to hold them steady. I glued some rubber on the edge where the lid was cut to make it more comfy for their feet.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I love it! Very nice looking! [​IMG]

7. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA

Cute picture! I love the nest box!

1 person likes this.
  8. chixcoop

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    Where can you get the straw from?

9. chixcoop

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    How did you make it say "warning spoiler" then a drop down once you clicken on it?

10. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Check Craigslist or TSC / Rural King sell it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by