ideas for feeding/watering sick chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by getreal, Nov 19, 2015.

1. getreal

getreal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    here's my situation: I have a silkie (5 months old) with wry neck. she is coming along but she wants to move and is flapping all over. I have her in a large plastic tote. I want her to have access to her feed and water, but with all her flapping she knocks everything I've tried over. she will only drink out of the red bottom of a waterer. Took me a week to figure out why she wouldn't drink. [​IMG] I don't want to put holes in the tote. any ideas would be greatly welcomed. I thought of the quart size feeder and waterer but how to make them immobile...

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Why are you keeping her in a tote? Are you giving her any vitamins? My recommendation: Let that girl out of jail. She would be much better if she was allowed to mingle with the rest of the flock, even with wry neck. See to it that she has access to food and water. Let her mingle, and pick up a bottle of poultry Nutri-Drench. Your whole flock may benefit from some ND, and you can give her a few drops straight from the dropper.

3. getreal

getreal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    she is in a tote because she is not able to stand up or walk. she would be trampled in the coop! she is being hand fed 3 or 4 times a day. pellets, scrambled eggs, yogurt and water added. yes she is getting vitamins E and b12 complex, and nutri drench each day. my flock is also getting vitamins and electrolytes in their water.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Ok, got it. She's sicker than I thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by