Ideas for fixing up coop

Ocdbrownie

Chirping
Jul 20, 2018
I have a 8.5' x 12.5' metal shed that we have reused as a coop. I currently have a metal shelf against the back wall that I have milk crates on the bottom two shelves for laying. The chickens sleep on the upper of these two and the one above it. They don't get on the topmost shelf at all. So I have one with nests being used as perches to sleep on. I'm not too pleased with the idea and, after reading over some things in this forum, I also realise it's a habit I need to break while they are still young. I'm thinking about either moving the shelf to one side and putting one long perch across the back or just put two perches along either side and leaving the nesting shelf where it currently is. The only thing is, I'm not a carpenter and wouldn't know what materials I could use to attach wood to metal walls. . . But for 15 chickens, I feel like they are in need of a lot more perch area.

After seeing some of the coop houses on this page, I'm kind of ashamed to post mine. But I feel as if I need ideas to improve what I have. We really don't have the extra funds to start from scratch with building. . . So I'm posting them anyway lol btw I think I disturbed my polish hen taking these. Hope I didn't spoil my chance for another egg with her today. She hasn't been laying regularly lately. Opps
20180722_131016.jpg
20180722_131053.jpg
20180722_131103.jpg

Thank you! And would the windows be needed if the coop house has no door in the front and stays open to their fenced in yard? Just curious.
no it wouldn't.

I'll have to look those up to see exactly what your talking about with the brood raiser. Thank you!
it would just be a small chicken wire "box" for that stuff.
th2XB8O4PT.jpg

no it wouldn't.

it would just be a small chicken wire "box" for that stuff.View attachment 1477793

Ok. Because the front has no door and is about 6' across.

As for the brooder, that looks like a more permanent solution to the temp home I had given them when they were chicks before we got the yard built. I would just be keeping them outside instead of in the house then. That's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom