ideas for free/cheap materials

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nikki1, Nov 11, 2011.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    We're building a coop in the spring, and we'd like to be as economical (aka CHEAP) as possible. We found a stack of 4x4's and 2x4's under the porch when we bought the place this summer. We need to inventory them, but I'm sure there's not enough. We also have a roll of 2/5 metal mesh the previous owner had leftover from part of the fence.

So all this is a start. Where else can a person scavenge building materials? Paint can cover a lot of ugly, so pretty isn't a huge priority. I'm going for functional here. Any ideas would be a big help.

--Nikki

2. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    paletts and old barns are a great start

3. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    Sorry! You should really proofread before posting! I didn't mean 2/5 mesh, I actually meant 2x4 mesh. I seem to have my weekend brain on.[​IMG]

--Nikki

4. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    My husband and are local to you. We are just finishing up our coop on a budget. Search craigslist for cheap and/or free materials. Also, for inexpensive paint, go to a local paint store and ask to look at their messed up paint. They will sell it for $5 a gallon. It takes a few stops usually but I found nice colors this way. Just make sure they are the right type of paint you need. Exterior vs. Interior. I also found quite a few things just looking around the neighborhood while driving! People put things out for free. I have also stopped at peoples houses who have stuff laying around that doesn't look like it has been touched in a while. You will be surprised at how friendly people are especially when you mention chicken coop. It never hurts to ask and the worse they could do is say no!!

Good Luck!!

5. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Do you subscribe to Freecycle? If so, you can post a wanted ad for building materials. Lots of construction people throw the stuff out regularly. Habitat re-store is also cheaper than your local depot, and also watch the side of the road the day before garbage pickup. Hope you get all the stuff you need -- cheep cheep!

6. Chicks & Guineas

Chicks & Guineas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    You should also be able to get paint (for free or almost) at your county recycling/hazmat center.

7. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Oh and....[​IMG]

8. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I have seen ad's for second hand cubbys (kids playhouses?) going for like $100 oe $200, they have metal rooves, insulation, are raised, have windows. This is for a 2.5x3m one. You'd just have to install a pop door.

I have seen people do great things with pallets though

9. cisca-n-max

cisca-n-max Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    We got most of the wood for our coop from the wood pile at our city landfill... idk if all dumps sort their stuff as well... but its worth a shot.

10. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    Check for a local Habitat for Humanity "Restore Store". They sell new and used windows, doors all kind of stuff. We bought 4 double pane winows and a NEW prehung door with frame for $125.00. I know this might not be cheap to some people, but where we live that's almost a giveaway. Heck the door alone at Lowes or HD is over $150.00!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by