ideas for keeping the family predator of of the hen pin.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by popgun223, Mar 10, 2014.

1. popgun223

popgun223 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Hello. So here's what I got .. we have a family dog a Siberian husky at that a breed that prob couldn't be any worse to have for a pet if you wish to raise chickens also.. so I need ideas and any great ideas on how to keep both the dog and flock safe.. the runs will be made of chicken wire and two foot high ply wood then baried 10 in under the ground. She also has a pet fence that will surround the run too. I was thinking a 3 foot high 2x3 fence out side of the runs area.. any ideas would be great before I spend all this money on fencing. Thanks

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    A dog that size will go through chicken wire like a hot knife through butter, go with hardware cloth around everything it will be more expensive, I would consider putting in a couple of strands of electric wire around the coop and run, a couple of good zaps and the dog will get the idea.

1 person likes this.
  3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Electric would be the surest bet, I'd spend my money on an electric fence setup then just build the run of cheap chicken wire to keep the birds in if that's what you want to use. A proper electric fence should keep all predators away. A good quality training collar for the dog may be helpful as well

1 person likes this.
  4. popgun223

Mar 4, 2014
    She has a electric training collar on with the pet fence. And that radio wire will go all the way around the run area.. my nightmare is that system going down. Aka bad wire or dead battery in collar. I might go with the electric fence but have to convince the wife to let me. The dog is her baby and the chickens are mine. But all these ideas a helping thank you !!!

5. blucoondawg

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    If you are going with that pet fence system where are you burying the wire in relation to the actual fence of the chicken run? I would bury the wire a good distance away from the run so the dog can actually cross the wire and get a zap, this should keep the dog a good distance back from the actual fence providing the dog will abide the pet fence. Make sure the prongs on the collar reach through the dogs thick coat and can contact the skin. I use a tritronics training collar on my dog it has a range over a mile and is waterproof, it gives a very healthy shock if need be.

6. popgun223

Mar 4, 2014
    That's a good idea. It seems to work good keeps her from digging out to the yard..but have had her run threw a gate once. My have to invest in the tritronics system. Were did u purchase it from ??

7. blucoondawg

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I got mine used from a friend who was getting a multiple dog setup for his bear hounds. you can get them at a lot of places that sell dog hunting supplies online and I believe cabelas carry's tritronics. it is the only brand of training collar I will use. They are a little more expensive than some others but they are well made durable and have good range. First I bought a pet safe from our local farm store and soon realized that was a waste of money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by