Idea's for keeping the water from freezing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smallchick, Feb 4, 2014.

1. smallchick

smallchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    This may be just the stupidest post you'll read, but i have to ask: I'm at 1000 ft, and we're going thru a bit a cold snap here in the thriving metropolis of Stanwood WA. 16 degree's last night. Tonite maybe 10. Any idea's as to preventing my water feeder from freezing solid? I've been trying lots of things-small pans of warm water first thing in the a.m. Stuff like that. Am also wondering how long my girls can go without water, if I shut them in for the night? Try as I might, I'm a sucker for "humanizing" them-I know that they can stand the cold (having gotten my concerns allayed by reading the fine info on this website), but really need some educating regarding their other tolerance limits.
    See? Silly post, but help me anyway? Thanks alot.

2. Jedi Clampett

Jedi Clampett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    No electricity where they are to use some type of a water warmer?

3. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    this is what I did and at -20 with -30 wind chill with a 150 watt light bulb my waterers don't freeze

4. smallchick

Feb 4, 2014
    Ok. At the risk of sounding completely daft, I did not know there were such creations as water-warmers. Yes I do have electric out in the coop. They have a light bulb on a timer, but the water still freezes solid.

5. Cooper Farms

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia

sorry didn't post link before

6. smallchick

Feb 4, 2014
    FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! AND SO EASY. THANKS ALOT!

7. Jedi Clampett

Jedi Clampett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    If nothing else, a very quick and easy solution is a common heated dog water bowl. Every farm supply store and most hardware stores have them. There are better solutions, but that is the quickest and easiest.

8. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    I second the heated dog bowls. They are easy to find, fast, (relatively) cheap, easy to clean, last for many seasons, and much less of a fire hazard than most of the home-made options you'll see. But, as much as I love them & prefer my birds to have water 24/7, I also must admit the people I know who live in true extreme cold areas & only give their birds water twice a day don't seem to have any health issues.

9. ACChix

ACChix New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    This is the only way to do it and not have any regrets. I did the heated dog bowl for awhile and I got tired of the mess.

Mind you, shop around for this stuff because you can find it cheaper elsewhere, and in sizes to match your flock.

http://www.amazon.com/GALLON-Poultr...6575&sr=8-17&keywords=hanging+chicken+waterer

+

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...91576494&sr=8-1&keywords=twist+electric+cover

+

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-C-50-Aluminum-Birdbath/dp/B0002DHBDY

plugged into extension cord coming from garage.

Water stays clean, and liquid, no matter how cold it gets.

10. Cooper Farms

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    i have a 55 gallon plastic barrel in my barn that i have wraped in insulation and it has a 1500 watt bird bath heather in it that way i have water out there at all times to fill my buckets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by