Ideas for keeping track of chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Most of what we've hatched out so far have been our own chicks, and we never had more than 8 at once. With the New Year's Day contest going on, we ordered some eggs, and set 17 of our own. It's going to get a little crazy around here, and I can barely keep track of who is what at this point. I really need some ideas...if you hatch out lots of different breeds at once, how do YOU keep track?

2. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    I have never done this but how about a drop of food color on their back. Color code them.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    You can use different colored zip ties and tie them around one of their legs. Color code each breed (ie: Buff orpingtons-green, Rhode Island Reds-Blue ect.)
    Or what I did with my small flock (only 6 birds--3 different breeds) I bought some velcro strips at the craft store and tied them around my birds leg.
    Just some ideas. Good luck with them!

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

You can use different colored zip ties and tie them around one of their legs. Color code each breed (ie: Buff orpingtons-green, Rhode Island Reds-Blue ect.)
    Or what I did with my small flock (only 6 birds--3 different breeds) I bought some velcro strips at the craft store and tied them around my birds leg.
    Just some ideas. Good luck with them!

Can you put zip ties on a tiny chick leg? Anyone have any pictures of this? Would you zip it just barely tight enough to not fall off, but not slip off, and then cut off the extra?​

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I would use velcro until they are older and have done a lot of their growing. You'll have to continually cut off and re-band chicks if you use cable ties.

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:The simplest way for sure. When they grow up the food color goes away with the molting. The tip of the main flight feathers on the wings either side or both.

7. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The simplest way for sure. When they grow up the food color goes away with the molting. The tip of the main flight feathers on the wings either side or both.

Food color will come off easy I use a marker [​IMG]

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Aren't there some kind of chicken leg bands out there? Could have sworn I saw something before here somewhere, but can't find it now...

9. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I use a marker on their heads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by