Ideas for moving a 8x8 building

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by keckels, Dec 1, 2011.

1. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    I have an opportunity to buy an 8x8 building for $100 - it's similar to the ones Home Depot sells for $800-900. I only need to move it about 3-400 yards. When I bought it I thought it had 2x4 or 4x4 sleds underneath it & I could just hook on to these with my truck & pull it. Local guy that rents Bobcats thinks the forks he has are to short & it would just tip & he wants $160 a day. He said what I really needed was a gander.

I grew up with a tractor with a loader on it, so nothing was much of a chore; always figured out a way. Anyone experienced in moving thing WITHOUT the proper equipment? It would make me an excellent coop. It's wood, has siding, missing just a few shingles & needs a little paint on the trim wood. I'm not very mechanically minded. I thought maybe if I could tilt it enough to get a 4x4 under each end & secure them then I could pull it?

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    In the past I've used poles to move heavy items. I had some very heavy slabs of stone. I got a couple of friends to help. We lifted the stone up enough to put poles under it, you could use a jack or something else for leverage. Then we rolled the stone on the poles. As it slowly moved along we would take the pole from the back of the stone and put it under the front.

3. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Post a "barter" on Craigslist. (I know it's time-consuming). but near where I live, there is a company that will move sheds for barter. Old mowers, old "man toys", whatever....as long as they think it's worth while. I moved my coop (which I found while hiking) with the help of about 8 strong people and a big, tough trailer. And it almost didn't "make it" several times.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63900_100_1246.jpg
    (Found this little beaut while hiking....asked if they wanted it, they didn't, took it. [​IMG] )

4. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Quote:This is an age old method. There's a large Catholic Church on the north bank of the Chena River that used to be on the south bank. It was moved across the winter ice on the river using logs as rollers. It takes some time, but works well. You need a couple of long thick planks, jack the shed up and set it on the planks, then put three long pipe sections either under the planks or over them, depending on whether the ground is rough and you need the planks for a path, or whether you need them for support under the shed.

5. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Should be no problem to pull it 4x4 might be a little small for the job. Would be better with 6x6 or even a 5x5 although it isnt that big so 4x4 might be ok. What you can do assuming you can get a jack in under it even a car jack would work fine is jack each corner and then put blocks in under it then run your 4x4 or whatever underneath it. A building that small will be easy to move with a pickup could prob even move it with a quad that little of a distance. I just say to jack the corners because you will find it will be easier to run your 4x4 underneath this way unless you have 5 or 6 men tipping the building each way for you. The jack makes it a one man job.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    One thing that determinds a lot is are you moving it across ground or on the road?

7. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    On ground, bufflalo grass. I only need to move out like 300 to 400 yards. Easiest thing would be too try the making it up option.

Quote:

8. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Glad you got a deal on the shed.I'd jack up the corners placing a 6x6 under each side.I'd cut an angle on the end so that it doesn't dig in the ground.You need to brace both 6x6's togeather so that they will remain stable while you pull.Attache the building to the 6x6's so that it doesn't move on them.Then go back under the building a short way and attache your chair to the 6x6's.This way you aren't pulling by the building and tearing it up.This should work well and then you can leave it on the 6x6's or use them as corner post in your run.Take your time moving and shouldn't be bad.Good Luck:cd:yiipchick

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:This is what I was thinking -- basically jack it up and install skids.

The bartering thing is great also if you have something to barter. We had two sheds moved across some very uneven terrain and paid the guy in 4' chain-link fencing from a dog run the previous owners left behind that was just sitting there looking ugly. So, it cost us nothing, really!

10. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    Dedid I most definitly agree with you on the barter.My coop is 80% or better materials that I have saved or dealed for over the years.I was just giving him an idea to get it moved.Sometimes we can wheel and deal and sometimes you can't.Love my chickens.[​IMG]:weee:ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by