1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ideas for no or low waste chick feeders?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I've got 3 chicks in one brooder, and now 7 in another. The first is using the typical quart jar with metal base with feeding holes that go around the bottom. The newbies (they just hatched) will be using one of the long slide top chick feeders with holes across the top in two rows. We had figured on a much larger hatch, and got 7 rather than 20.

Anyway, with the older 3, while they are eating like mad, they are also wasting. I was hoping I could get some ideas from you pros on maybe home made, or purchased feeders that promote less to no waste. Pictures would be great!!!

Thanks!

2. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
  3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Put a deep pan under the feeder. I lose no feed at all.
    [​IMG]

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Ok, that's what I have in my larger brooder. I'll see it how it goes when they start eating, which should be any time now!

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:That's a good idea for my laying birds, but what I'm seeing waste with is my little birds in the brooder. Though I guess I could adapt something on a small scale for them...

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:That's a good idea for my laying birds, but what I'm seeing waste with is my little birds in the brooder. Though I guess I could adapt something on a small scale for them...

Put it in a casserole Pyrex dish that would work too.

7. okie2

okie2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    buy the (LITTLE GIANT 11 POUND FEDDER)
    IT HAS THE LITTLE FINGERS ALL AROUND IT TO KEEP THEM FROM SCRATCHING FEED OUT
    I CUT THE BOTTOM OUT OF PLASTIC COFFEE CAN AND GLUED IT ON TOP SO IT CAN HAVE A LID
    YOU WILL HAVE NO WASTE

8. berkeleyjack

berkeleyjack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
  9. Shell-in-NE

Shell-in-NE Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    I used a ceramic dog bowl that had the high sides, and filled 1/2 way. When the chicks scratched, the food mostly just hit the sides inside the bowl.

I got frustrated with the standard chick feeders. I bet more was wasted than what they ate, especially when someone was able to get on top and tip the feeder over

10. chic-a-deee

chic-a-deee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Great Coop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by