Ideas for protecting gap below door from predators

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jamband, Mar 24, 2012.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I keep my ducks in a dirt floor "garage" and the door are just like shed style doors that swing open. I attacged 1/2 in hardware cloth to the bottom and laid in out on the ground 18 inches in front. Held it down with some rocks. Worked fine....For a few months but now its breaking at stress points and that stuff is to dangerous when broken and too expensive to replace every few months. There are 2 entries for a total of about 14 ft of door I need to protect......Any ideas???

Already considered reframing the doors so they open one panel up but I keep a mower in the other side so thats out. Thought maybe a flexible material like a pond liner but figure thats not enough....

Thanks all

2. littlequail21

littlequail21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    Not Completely sure how your set up is with out a photo. but for my coop doors i dug in a long board in to the ground, that comes up Right before dirt you cant see it....the door has about a 1/2 gap before being on the Ground... i can Easily walk in and out opening the door. however if something try to Dig to get under the door it Hits the wood and cant...Or you can have so it goes up and right Behind the door about a foot or so up. that way. you have your coop door. then the Wood sticking up about a Foot. you will need to step over this. but its a sure way to keep other animals out.

3. Nslangton

Nslangton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    We used driveway blacktop repair under our door to the run. You can mold it however you want. Not sure yet how it will hold up, the chicks have only been out twice.

4. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    Its just a ground level garage.....but there are 2 swing open doors...one swings right and one left, just like big shed doors. I would think something buried would need to be at least 12-18 inches deep to stop diggers though and that woods gonna rot pretty fast.

5. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    Screw a 2x4 to the bottom of the door... Shape the 2x4 as needed.

6. Rvl Rookie

Rvl Rookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Russellville, MO
    I have a board that I keep in front of the doors, but it's easy to move out of the way. The predators haven't found my chickens yet (I'm very new to thus) but I think this would stop them from attacking the doors.

[​IMG]

7. jamband

Apr 26, 2011

how does that keep diggers out thogh?

8. jamband

Apr 26, 2011

but you have a solid floor...i have dirt...worried about them digging under.

9. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    We just finished our coop but we havnet built the run yet. I just went over tons of idea with my husband and went to home depot to buy all the run materials. we didnt go with this idea but one thought we threw out there for the run mind you not a coop but i suppose it might work for a coop would be to line the bottom of the coop with wire. Just a thought. Good luck.

10. Rvl Rookie

Rvl Rookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Russellville, MO
    Ahh, missed that part. Even with the wood floor, I have hardware cloth all the way around to keep them from getting under there. Maybe you could do something similar to a small cattle guard under the doors, but covered with hardware cloth. (Like a farm gate, covered and then buried flush with the ground).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by