Ideas for Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chica Lady, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Chica Lady

Chica Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    Hi All,

First I want to say thanx to BYC for the great information and wonderful community for all the help and info.

Now, I am looking for cheap (free) ideas for a run. My husband just started his new job today, so we wont have any money for 2 weeks. I have 2 grown chickens that need a place to run. That is the urgent part. The not so urgent part is that I have 7 chicks that are almost 2 weeks old. So for now, I guess I could use something that is a throw together, but will need something bigger and more permanent for when the chicks are ready to go outside.

Thanx for any advice/input.

Chica Lady [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What is your setup? If you have a fenced back yard or field, you could use that. Not predator proof, but it lets them outdoors, which is so natural for chickens. Chicken wire is cheap, again not predator proof at all, but it lets them out while preventing them from wandering off. Most anyone who has put up fences will have some scraps; maybe you could offer a small price for some. Can you just let them run in your back yard?

If you just got the grown chickens and they are new to your home, it's probably a good idea to keep them in the coop for a few nights and days, so they learn it is home.

For the chicks, offhand the cheapest thing i can think of is bird netting, in a garden store, intended to keep birds off things like strawberry plants. Of course you will need to supervise at that age, anyway. You could put up a makeshift pen for some outdoor time with bird netting (or old curtains, tarps, etc.) and things like chairs and concrete block scraps. Improvise; look around, see what you can use. Old playpens are a great starting point for baby chick outings; maybe you could pick one up at a yard sale, and put something around the bottom to make the openings small enough to contain them. Just turn it upside down over them.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    I have a large yard that is fenced in (4' chainlink fence). I just got the full grown chickens on Friday, they should be good to go out and about the yard now. I just dont feel like chasing them at bed time. I dont know what their call word is, or even if they have one at all. guess I gotta train them to a new word. anyway, thanx for the ideas, they are great.

4. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    Do you want a permanent run or a movable one?
    This one is movable and easy to put together. Can be made to any length. It's in 5' section.
    [​IMG]

5. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    This is a great idea!!!! Then, as they scratch up the yard, I can move it to a new section. What is it made out of?

6. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    The run sections and the coop are made of 2"x4"x 60" 12.5 gauge galvanized welded wire fencing. The run are made with two 2'x5' pieces of fencing and one 7'x5' piece of fencing. They have two predator skirt on each side of the run that are 14" wide. I use my chickens in my garden year round to prepare bed and do general weed reduction of unused garden beds. You could say I have working chickens in my garden. If you want to see more picture of these chicken tunnels go here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/album/view/id/6169273/user_id/122612

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by