1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

idea's for snow drift dilemma

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ABlovinmychicks, Jan 7, 2015.

1. ABlovinmychicks

ABlovinmychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    Obviously with anything as you use something you realize you "missed something" or need to tweek/modify around a problem that's come up! We had a massive storm blow in overnight & here's the coop this morning... I had to squeeze thru (door opens in b/c the rest of the year I have a rainbarrel that sits right outside the coop door!) & shovel out.
    My thought is to grab a tarp & tie it to the bottom 1/2 of door? I don't mind some snow in the coop but we gotta be able to open the door!
    [​IMG]

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    You will likely fight that problem all winter, it is the same as the dog kennels I used to have, and the issue is no matter how much you shovel it out you will always end up with a little each time getting packed or frozen to the ground and pretty soon you can't open the darn door and your out there chiseling away to try to make room for the door to swing. I remedied this problem by building the door so it is actually 6 inches to a foot above the ground and a little area of stationary wall or fencing is under the door which you have to step over to enter, this ensures that you will always be able to shovel the walk clean unless you really ignore it and get a ton of snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by