1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ideas for stopping broodiness?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bukbugack, Jan 6, 2010.

1. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    I have two silkies and they're both broody. Yeah. I know. Big surprise. They are my daughters' pets. If we have to have them they may as well lay eggs, right?
    Does anyone have any ideas for breaking the broodies? I have tried putting them in a kennel for several hours at a time, as well as taking them for drives in the car. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure the birds even noticed the change much. I had considered electo-shock therapy, [​IMG] but my daughter is against the idea.

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    You could give them a small dose of Tylenol which should break to normal fever that a broody hen has. Take away any nesting material including nest boxes. Provide plenty of food and fresh water. Good luck.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Put them in a wire-bottomed cage with no nesting material, and hang it a few inches off the ground (at least) so that cooler air gets underneath them. They should be over it in a week or so. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Put eggs under them and wait three weeks....oh sorry, maybe that's not helping... [​IMG]

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:Actually a Broody hens temperature drops instead of increasing..

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Actually a Broody hens temperature drops instead of increasing..

How do they do that? my hens always feel hot which seems to keep the eggs warm. [​IMG]
    Plus I thought they were asking for ideals on this post......SORRY to not be as intelligent as you are. [​IMG] I get on here to try to help people out, not to get punished for doing so. When other people express their ideas I listen but that does not mean that I have to think the way they do or even like their answer.
    People seem to put lots of other people down on this website just for their honest opinion. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by