Ideas for summer tractor?

mountainchickens

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Colorado
Hi! So, I am looking for ideas for a summer chicken tractor. We live in a predator-prone area with a whole host of bears, coyotes, etc at night, but usually just birds of prey in the daytime. Our run is pretty small (10x13 ish), but we have an electric fence around it (off in the daytime) for the bears. We have seven chickens and they'll go in the run/coop morning, evening, and night.
But... is there any covered, portable tractor we could use in the afternoons for them to free range without us watching? It doesn't have to be super sturdy. Maybe a bigger one of these with a makeshift nesting box inside?
https://www.grit.com/farm-and-garden/do-it-yourself/build-a-pvc-chicken-tractor
Thanks in advance! :D

:frow:welcome

I think if you made that pvc thing with hardware cloth it would make a pretty lightweight easy to move and safe daytime run for aerial preds. Might have to lock them down if you know somethings come into the area(family of coons, foxes ect.) Saying that because Ive had the coons come into my yard in the daytime when they realized they couldnt get the birds at night but had a shot during the afternoon :rant

Thanks! :D
Okay! We do have plenty of coons around here. I've never seen them in the daytime, but they might start trying once they see the chickens out in a tractor in the afternoons. I think I'll try the pvc one! It gets really hot sometimes (especially July-August) so will make sure to do a tarp over the top for shade :)

Thanks! :D
Okay! We do have plenty of coons around here. I've never seen them in the daytime, but they might start trying once they see the chickens out in a tractor in the afternoons. I think I'll try the pvc one! It gets really hot sometimes (especially July-August) so will make sure to do a tarp over the top for shade :)

:lol: i see you live in CO while i live in southern LA its already been up to the 80s alot this spring already so yes a tarp :lau id make sure it goes all the way to the ground in one corner so if anything is out there running around it in circles the birds could have a spot to catch their breath. Also despite our pred problems i have a PVC cage but not like a tractor its off the ground great for adult quail except i wish it was done w hardware cloth vs chicken wire
20190314_144732.jpg

I found it on craigslist for like 25$ a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom