Ideas for temporary "containers" for chicks? (for transport/cleaning)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lanimilbus, Aug 18, 2010.

1. lanimilbus

lanimilbus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Central Maine
    I've run into this problem a few times now...when I need to clean out the brooder I have to move all the chicks elsewhere until the process is complete, but I've had a hard time finding something to put them in that they can't escape from, that provides air, and that's big enough for them to stay in for an hour so. At first I was using a laundry basket with paper towels on the bottom and a screen over the top but at 1 month old they're too big for that now. The bantams are okay to deal with but the Easter Eggers are becoming enormous and will fly 6 feet up in the air whenever given the chance. I have some spare cardboard boxes but again, fitting all the chicks in there is a challenge. The biggest boxes are tall, but still not very wide at the bottom. What I've been doing recently is dividing them up into four or five different cardboard boxes so that there's enough space but that's very time consuming and it would be a lot easier to just have them all in one place.

So does anyone have any ideas for what else I could do?

P.S. I don't have a dog crate unfortunately, otherwise I'd use it
    P.P.S. Some way to fence them in outside in the grass would be great...problem is, the little ones get through very small cracks/holes and the big ones fly over most anything that's not completely covered.

2. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    One of those big plastic totes? You could try making a box-like structure from wood and covering it with chicken wire or hardware cloth as a mini run.

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    We use large totes with holes cut out for transport and when we are cleaning the booder. Works great! Cleans easily with bleach and water.

4. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    I put newspaper down in our bathroom and put the chicks in there with my two boys sitting on the floor. The chicks crawled all over them and had a ball. My boys loved it and the chicks got some playtime outside the brooder. When I put the chicks back and removed the papers, I used my Wetjet to mop the floor.
    If you do decide to buy a dog crate, it makes a great isolation area for an injured bird to recover. An injury can happen suddenly and having one on hand was a Godsend to us. And they fold down flat when not in use. (just in case you needed a few excuses to buy more "things" for your chicks. hee hee.) [​IMG]

5. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    What I use are dog crates or totes. Totes have worked the best because I prefer to clean them than the dog crate. I have also used totes for a brooder as well.

6. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Next time you see one for sale, buy a portable rabbit cage, that breaks down. They are really safe for chicks, and if you buy one with a plastic, removable bottom, you can make it chick-safe (so they don't slip walking on it) simply by putting a bath towel on the plastic. They are very airy, birds cannot escape, but you can put a towel or blanket around them if you're concerned about a draft.
    My rabbit cages have raised two batches of chicks. [​IMG]

7. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Cat or dog trasporter is what I use works great....

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I use totes as well, They all use the same size lid... I ready the empty one with all the fixings. Then transfer the babies, put the lid on and walaaaaa. Then I take the used tote outside and dump the shavings into the pile we use for garden stuff, clean the tote well and it's ready for the next change. At one point this spring I had 4 brooders going. Just rotated the bins except the largest, that is a whole different story. Good luck [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. trishamonks

trishamonks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    hi i apologise for jumping in on this thread i just wanted to say i use a travel cot for holding mine when cleaning out the coop and runs its too high for them to jump out of and wide enough for all 18 of my 8 week lod chicks [​IMG] oh and for transporting them i use a large tub the ones with the lid with and a baby blanket in one corner for them to snuggle up on [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by