Ideas for transporting live eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieCRZYness, Aug 25, 2010.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    My incubator is being very inconsistent and I have a friend about 45 minutes away that has several broody hens with no eggs underneath them. So, I'm getting tired of my eggs not hatching and wasting them, so from now on I will bring all my eggs before I put them in the incubator which is the easy part. But I have about 6-8 eggs that are about 7-10 days old under incubation and forming chicks inside and I want to bring them and out them under the hens. I'm going out of town and this south Florida weather has been making me loose electricity a lot and I can't risk loosing all these eggs to power failure. So does anyone know how I can keep these 6-8 eggs at a temp that won't kill them while I transport them to her house? Any ideas are appreciated. I figured a heating pad is to hot. Just an idea I had. Thanks

2. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    If she is going to start the hatch after you give them to her. I would thing in a carton in a box in the car. I'm just say'in, don't they have to be room tem. 6 hrs. before set? If you keep your egg in a cool basement or something before hatch and you want to keep them that way then you need a cooler and something to keep tem. Broody hens are good layers. Good luck [​IMG]

3. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Perhaps you could use one of those water pad-style heat pads (rubber...you add the warm water to it...), wrap them in a bath towel on top of that? It would give them a heat source, but indirectly, and still be portable and cool slowly (so not continuously increasing heat on them in the car). Then I'd set them in the backseat, away from the AC vents and roll. Good luck![​IMG]

4. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Thank you guys for the help. I am collecting eggs daily and will keep at room temp and still until I put under the hen. Those I am not worried about transporting, just large end of egg up in an egg carton and then keep same temp as my house while transporting them. But transporting my already started eggs in my incubator is what I need help with. The hot water pad could work out. I might look at Walmart for one tonight.

5. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Someone plugged there incubator into there car some way. [​IMG]

6. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:Ah I can explain that! Use a power inverter; it plugs into the lighter socket and ends in what sort of looks like a surge protector. Plug incubator in, arrange so it's secure... And done! If you don't have it I imagine best buy or walmart can help you out. This way the eggs are disturbed the very least as possible.

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    If it was me, I just put in the egg carton (with some tow underneath to reduce shock) and drive down the friend house after dark. I am sure the temperature is very hot where you are so turn on the air condition would be ok. Yeah..leave the egg to prevent cool air blowing direct into it. The hen tend to leave the nest few hours and no problem hatching.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by