Ideas? Forage Seeds in Grassy Area

CubbieFan88

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 27, 2017
Texas
Can I toss forage seeds out directly into our grassy run? We have 15 chickens (with 5 more coming in June to finish our flock) and 1 one-eyed turkey named Gabbie in a fenced in area of roughly 3500 squ ft that is all grass with a few thin grassy areas. Their coop is in the center of it & they roam it freely all day till bedtime. I would like to add more & better foraging options by adding some forage seeds (clover, alfalfa, leafy greens, etc.) directly to the grass (especially add the mix into the thin areas). I've seen about the fodder trays or pots or the like and ideally I want to avoid this. I want something more let them slowly forage style versus here's a treat tray that I bring. I want something more self sufficient & naturally growing/re-seeding. My problem is I don't know where to get started or if it is even possible to add seeds to the grass (like will they grow in grass?). Tilling all the grass up isn't feasible or desired. If this is not possible or if you have ideas please share. I feel like I've tried to find answers to a question I don't quite know how to word or where to ask 😅

Thanks in advance

I think they'd enjoy that, it could take root but then you'd have fodder for them.
That would be awesome. I'm hoping to hear that they'll take root in the grass directly. I'm hoping to avoid containers themselves. Forage & fodder is what I'm going for. I just want to avoid a system where I'll have to move in & out like trays or pots.

One approach I’ve taken is to build a ring with welded wire fence (whatever size you need / is manageable) and place it in your run over the thin spot. Seed in there, where the flock won’t be able to access and scratch up/eat. Once the fodder is established, remove the ring (completely or partially) to give the flock access.

I use the same trick in the yard to keep the kids off spots I patch in the lawn.

I have done something similar in our backyard with a spot that is .25-.5 acres roughly. I did disk the ground in the summer and planted a mix of buckwheat, sunflowers, and iron clay peas. I then went through without disking a couple weeks ago and spread a mixture of wheat, rye grain, crimson clover, and arrowleaf clover. Our chickens free range and were in the mixture every day. I didnt know if it would ever come up, but with sme timely rains and planting heavy seed rates we were able to get a good stand of the chicken crop so they have something to forage in over the next few months. It sounds like whatever you throw out will need to be seeded pretty heavy and in front of a good rain (if you want it to actually grow) so the birds cant get all the seed before it gets going.

I toss treats out in the grass for my birds. I will say one thing a grassy run (unless way way over sized) will not be grassy for very long. My run is almost 3 times the suggested about for my birds and it was a dirt yard the first year. I've since divided it up to 3 and only allow them access to one while the other two try to grow back.

They will destroy the grass in no time and there is no guarantee that those seeds will take (be chocked out by the grass).

I would divide the area up in a few sections and do Rotational grazing. You can seed an area that they won't be in for a while or keep one of those sections off limits until the new stuff has established.

Back
Top Bottom