Ideas how to chicken friendly your yard?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by redoak, May 17, 2008.

1. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'm looking for ideas how to chicken friendly a yard for chickens. I have electric poultry netting around about 1 1/2 acres of my backyard. I've noticed that the chickens really only use the landscaped areas around the house and nothing out in the open. So what do chicken owners do to make their yard more resemble a jungle habitat. I did plant 250 Austrian pines this spring around the edges of the yard. Thanks for any ideas/advice.

2. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    It's their instinct not to go into open areas to stay protected from flying predators.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I just quit doing yardwork! Pretty soon, everythng was nicely grown over and jungle-like!

4. brookwoodpat

brookwoodpat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Yes, but when things are that overgrown, I get snakes.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yes, but when things are that overgrown, I get snakes.

Hey, you wanted a jungle right?

Seriously, just ensure there are shrubs and low brush plantings for them to duck into. You can make them as pretty as YOU like - they wont care about such things. But be warned:

Chickens love to scratch, aka, tear up the grass and earth underfoot. Left unchecked, they will turn a favorite nice patch of ground into a moonscape pretty quick.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by