Ideas mixing breeds to form a flock that will raise its own chicks.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Moroccan Rooster 127, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Moroccan Rooster 127

Moroccan Rooster 127 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    I like so many of the qualities of the various breeds that I wonder if one could not just put together say Austrolops,Wyandottes,Delawares, and Sussex and create a good country set of birds with this background?

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have a bantam flock that consists of mutts, brahmas, cochins, and seramas. They take care of their own very well and every hatched chick is raised with the flock.

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I have a mixed flock and just hatched some barnyard mixes I think if you don't mind mutts you should be fine just know that the next generation will not look like the 1st generation. I can't figure out on my brown egg layer chick that hatched who the mom is. The bantam ones where from my bantam EE eggs so they are EE/Cochin cross.

4. Moroccan Rooster 127

Apr 20, 2011
    I dont mind mutts, rather I enjoy the variety and the idea of babys coming from mamas instead of the hatchery makes it more enjoyable.

5. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    whats wrong with mutts as long as you like them for my own chickens when i want to keep the same kind going then i just put them in a different pen for a few weeks then hatch out them eggs if i want to keep the line going but as far as mutts go my incubater should be hatching out a barnyard mix this weekend so in just keeping my chickens so we can eat eggs and have a few chicken meals every now and thenbut the only ones i think im going to be hatching out from my birds will be my bcm and my jersey giants but as far as if they turn broody in the coop i dont mind the mixed breeds that will just put more meat in the freezer or some exrta eggs this batch of mutts im hatching out are for my grand kids cause they seem to enjoy our chickens so much im building the grandkids some 4x8 chicken tractors and going to give the kids 2or 3 chickens each after they are ready to come out of the brooder and ready to go out side ive told there parents ill pick them up 1 of the 50 pound bags of feed after that its up to them to get the feed for them who knows they might even want to get a rooster down the road and make there own little flocks

6. Moroccan Rooster 127

Apr 20, 2011
    Sounds Lovely, I feel likewise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by