Ideas needed for a coop for my Silkies please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChobeeChickenMommy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Hi everyone! I just got 2 Silkie hens & a Silkie Roo yesterday and I am planning on getting a few more hens for my big man soon to be able to do some breeding and showing!

Now with that said, my husband & I have finished our regular coop for our EE's and they have their own little run & we will soon let them free range (maybe). But I want to buy like a play house/small coop for MY Silkies to have their own coop in our larger 15'x15' side of the run so that they can be on their own & I don't have to worry about my EE roo "having his way" w/ one of my Silkie girls w/o me knowing. Since I only have 1 Silkie roo I don't think I need to worry about separating them by color for breeding for SQ. He is white & I am going to breed him w/ possibly blue & splash silkie hens...

Thank you in advance for all opinions & advice!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I got my D'uccles a small chain link kennel with sunscreen and gave them a dog house with a little roost and a cat carrier as a nest box. I screened in the bottom of the kennel walls with garden fence (the kennel is inside a fenced in back yard) to keep any wayward chicks inside the kennel. (Also, to keep the adults from sticking their heads out as my BC accidently removed a frizzle's head when she tried to 'herd' her head back into the pen.) [​IMG] Then, placed 2' high plastic white lattice fencing over that to make it a bit more attractive. I planted several fraggrant bulbs to further camoflauge the kennels and to help with any potiential odor issue.

It seems to work well for them. I don't free range due to hawks, but when I mow the lawn, I toss all the grass clippings to the various chicken kennels.

3. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by