Ideas needed for trip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Billyj, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Billyj

Billyj Songster

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    My family and I have been offered a week long trip to Charleston SC. this weekend(about a 3 hour trip from my house). Whohoo. That is the good news, the bad news is that we need to leave tomorrow. Why is this bad you say?? I have eggs in my bator that go on lockdown on Friday, and scheduled to hatch on Monday. It will not be a problem to take them with me, but is it possible to take the eggs with me on a long trip like that and they still be ok? Or do I sadly postpone my trip and lockdown on Friday? If there are any suggestions on how to keep the eggs warm enough for the trip I would love to know how. Please help

2. Tinaj

Tinaj In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Oregon
    Hi Billyj,
    I am faced with the same dilema in a couple of weeks. Our trip is Oregon to Montana so I don't think I will take the eggs with me, but here is what I thought I could do. We have an adaptor that plugs into the lighter that you can then plug a 120 v incubator into so the eggs could still stay warm. I am not sure if the motion in the car will cause any problems, so I am waiting with great interest to see other replies to you. Hope you have a good hatch.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Songster

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't know anything at all about hatching eggs, so I am very curious what the experts say about this.

I see a couple of possible choices -- one is a "Chick sitter", a reliable someone to come in and tend to the chicks those first days after hatch.

You don't say how many eggs are in the incubator, but another choice would be for you to drive home to fetch them after they hatch.

I hope you find a solution -- it would be a shame to miss a trip away.

Jenny

4. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    Lol glad I'm not the only one facing this decision. I have my robin chick due to hatch on this weekend, and supposedly a big family event this weekend too. Do I go, and come back every half hour to feed the robin? Do I stay home? Do I somehow bring the baby/egg WITH me (not likely, will be locked down if not tiny and fragile)? Frustrating!

5. Billyj

Billyj Songster

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    I have 15 eggs in the bator. They arre noting extra special, just some from my own flock. I will be 3 hours away from home. With me being gone for at least a week, I don't have anyone that I would put this on. I don't know what to do. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. prairiepearls

prairiepearls Songster

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    I bet you could find a "pet-sitter" who'd be willing to branch out from dogs & cats! It'd be worth a little $ to be able to go on the otherwise free trip, wouldn't it? Good luck!

7. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Songster

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I packed up emergency brooder, light, small bag pf feed and took mine with me in May. Got an inverter for the car, plugged it in and off I went. You won't need to use the turner if you have an automatic one, just plug it back in when you're there. I wouldn't suggest you take it unless you know you'll be travelling either before hatch days or after it shoudl be done. I moved mine day 19 or 20 and was lucky, they waited another 24 hours to start, and I was able to turn it off by the day before we left again.

8. Billyj

Billyj Songster

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Where would I be able to find one of the converters. Would Wal-Mart have it, or would I need to go to Best Buy or something like that?

9. Charles07

Charles07 Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Quote:"In"verter, and you can get one at Radio Shack.

10. Charles07

Charles07 Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    I bought mine there for $30 or so on clearance several years ago. I use it for a variety of things. Well worth the money. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by