Ideas needed on temporary boundary fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SwtGrc, Jan 21, 2018.

1. SwtGrc

SwtGrc Chirping

Dec 2, 2017
    Northern California
    BYC help!!
    In need of ideas for temporary fencing for my ladies. Something that will keep them on one side and that isn't an eyesore. I'm renting so we can't really install anything major. Just want to make a boundary line so we can plant new grass since our yard is all dead weeds now:hit
    Found a couple ideas (pics) but would love input from experienced peeps. Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I like the first pix with the 2 x 4 welded wire painted white. It is more sturdy than the second option of plastic. Plastic is fine but needs to be stretched tight to prevent sagging. The T-Stakes are easy to pound into ground. Not over pricey ether, compared to fence posts.
    Considering that the fencing is only 4 feet high, will you have issues with your chickens flying over??? If so you may consider clipping wings. Ask and I can give suggestions as to how best done.
    WISHING YOU BEST...... :welcome

nminusyplusm and SwtGrc like this.
  3. SwtGrc

SwtGrc Chirping

Dec 2, 2017
    Northern California
    Thanks @cavemanrich!
    I still need to plan it out. My thought with the plastic fencing or even the poultry netting, is that it would be too flimsy for them to perch on...but I guess they could try to fly over..hhmmmm. Dang!! I feel bad the yard is destroyed, the landlord might regret letting us have chickens :barnie

4. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    If the fence is sturdy enough for chickens to land on, then there is no stopping then to continue to other side of fence. :idunno
    Consider fence as a walking boundary for the chickens. Then consider wing clipping. Not all chickens are flighty. What breed do you have , or want to get?

5. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    :goodpost: High netting will keep them from flying over. :thumbsup

nminusyplusm and SwtGrc like this.
  6. SwtGrc

SwtGrc Chirping

Dec 2, 2017
    Northern California
    Right now the trouble makers are a welsummer, blue Andalusian, barred rock, americauna, and a BO.
    I've clipped most of their wings (just one wing).
    The ultimate goal is to provide some kind of boundary while new grass is planted and grows.

cavemanrich likes this.
  7. SwtGrc

SwtGrc Chirping

Dec 2, 2017
    Northern California
    Teila likes this.
  8. SwtGrc

SwtGrc Chirping

Dec 2, 2017
    Northern California
    Teila and Pjacct like this.
  9. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    This is what chicken wire is for to keep chickens in. Much cheaper than welded wire and you can get 6' tall chicken wire.

JT

Teila likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: