Ideas On A Bantam Flock?

RodNTN

Hatchaolic
8 Years
May 22, 2013
The Volunteer State
My Coop
My Coop
Good afternoon everyone! Sometime (not exactly soon, but in a couple of years or so) I want to have an all bantam flock. Overall I want docile birds with a variety of colors. What breeds do you all suggest?

Here are my favorites:

Silkie: White, Buff, Splash, Black, etc.
Cochin: Splash and/or Mottled, and Frizzled.
d'Uccle: Mille Fleur, Self blue
White Crested Black Polish
Black Tailed Buff Japanese
Sebright: Gold and Silver
Easter Egger
Barred Rock
Old English Game: Wheaten, Spangled, and Red Pyle (maybe Self Blue?)
Brahma: Buff
Columbian Rock
Serama

Do you all think that these birds would get along? Also, where can I find a Serama breeder? I have no idea where to look for them :p

What do you think of these breeds? Thanks in advance! :)

The silkies and cochins get pretty big as far as bantams go, especially the roosters. so it depends if you want all mini breeds or big and little bantams. Also they might pick on the others because they get much bigger

Im so stupid, for some reason I thought she was talking about LF cochins I don't know why because she is talking about a BANTAM flock :he:oops::idunno

Haha, that's fine! I've never kept Cochins before (standard or bantam) so I was like "Do they really get that big?" :lol: It's fine!

Silkies are a bit bigger than your typical bantam, but they're one of my favorites :love

My Bantam Cochins are small my OEGB are tiny both have great personalities. I can pick up my Cochins and snuggle them, my OEGB are independent and not snuggly. I love both breeds.

I love my OEGB's, but they just don't like to snuggle, huh? :p But their funny personalities are one of my favorite things about them!
I would also love a couple Buff Orpington bantams, my standard ones are such sweethearts! It would be nice though to have a lapdog that isn't 6 or 7 pounds :lol:

My daughter's fitting and showing chicken was a bantam cochin. I stopped having bantams -- the neighbors can feed their own cats!

I think the first step is to figure out why bantams and what you plan to do with them. I mean, are they going to be for show or your pets or genetic fun or hatching for sale or diet eggs or just cute little chirpy garden fluffballs or ???? Breeding or show stock would need to be separated to keep breed purity. Each of my puffballs is a different color, so my yard is a rainbow of chirps--no rooster, no hatching, no chicks. Free-ranging bantams can also be an adrenaline rush because everything sees them as bite-size morsels, but it could be a great weight-loss program running outside, down the stairs, across the yard with a broom every 15 minutes!

Mine are on half acre fenced during the day and they do fine. I have Choclate Orps that are bantam and they are sweet too but of all my bantams my Bantam Cochins are my snuggles and oh my gosh when they make that sweet noise when being snuggled :love I have a real sweet LF Brahma hen too I wonder if Brahmas in Bantam are as easy going and sweet?

I am totally in love with my OEGBs they may not be cuddly but I love their independence. They are just the best mamas too my Oldest hen who only was able to hatch one chick this past year because of a blk snake that was dining on her eggs ( we finally caught him) anyway this chick, pullet hatched in Aug 2018 and her and mama are still close as ever.

Wonderful possibilities! :thumbsup

I've kept all except the Polish, Barred Rock, and Serama. :) They get along beautifully. Pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

Favorites of the group: d'Uccle, Easter Egger, and Old English Game bantam. :love I will never be without these sweethearts.

"Middling:" Sebright, Cochin, Silkie, Columbian Rock, and Brahma.

Disliked: Japanese bantam. Very flighty. :hmm

Ameraucanas and Wyandottes can also be quite personable. :)

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom