1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ideas on Breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Falconfree, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Falconfree

Falconfree Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2013
    Panama City, Fl
    I have a couple hens (I'm pretty sure, the 2 roosters have already met the processor) and I'm wondering what breed they are? The old farmer sold them to me as a Buff Orpington and an Isa Brown, but he also sold me a Dom that ended up being a mixed breed roo. :) Appreciate any help! Tell me if I need pictures from a different angle. Belle likes to put her face up in the camera, while Ariel is an enormously skittish girl, so it was hard to get both front on and profile shots.

Belle:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ariel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    The first one looks like a production hybrid, so you may actually have one Isa Brown! The other one looks like an Easter Egger, or an Easter Egger cross. It has a curve to it's tail, and a few masculine features. I would keep an eye on that one.

3. Falconfree

Dec 20, 2013
    Panama City, Fl
    The second one was the Isa Brown. Bahahahaha. That farmer...

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Agreed, #1 Red sex-link (aka ISA Brown or Golden comet or Red star) and an Easter Egger.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The first one is likely a sex link. The second is a mixed breed, it may have some colored egg genes. If she lays colored eggs feel free to call her an Easter egger.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. Falconfree

Dec 20, 2013
    Panama City, Fl
    Fun! Thanks everyone. :)

8. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

I agree with the rest, and Ariel is looking like a cockerel. Could be wrong though. How old are they? Belle is very pretty. I really like that first picture. [​IMG]

9. Falconfree

Dec 20, 2013
    Panama City, Fl
    They are 17 weeks old. I sure hope she ends up being a hen, guess we'll just have to see if eggs start showing up from her. She's so different, behaviorally, from the two roos we had. She never makes a noise (unlike Belle who talks to me the entire time I'm outside, lol), is super skittish, and her comb only started turning red recently. Fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by