Ideas On Building An Egg Turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gatekeeper, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    One of the biggest problems with homemade incubators is the fact you lose so much reheating time when you hand turn the eggs. Opening and closing - opening and closing ...

I have been thinking about building my own cabinet type incubator. One of the things I would like is to find a design for turning eggs from a crank or lever from the outside of the incubator.

Some BYC members have posted about manual turners from small ice chest type homemade bators, I'm wanting to step it up a notch.

There have been some that talk about using a motorized BBQ spit to make an auto turner, Im just not that into the expense and time of doing that.

Cranking a device 4-5 times a day is fine for my lifestyle.

Here at this site there are tons of talented people, I'd like to see about someone coming up with a "better mousetrap" for a turner. One that can be turned from the outside.

Gate

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here is one we made with the bottom part of a plastic milk crate, an egg flat and PVC pipe that went thru the body of the bator and was turned from the outside. It tilted them just like the commercial turner for the Hova.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    That is a great example Speckledhen. How do you keep it tilted - what keeps it from turning back the other way?

The one I am in the process of building is going to be cabinet sized. It will have 3-4 trays that i want to tilt at once. So I am open to examples on how to turn all 3-4 racks at once.

Keep um coming!!

Ill even give away a free dozen of my hatching eggs to the person that comes up with the best turning design to meet my needs - shipped free!!

Gate

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The parts are tightened so it wont just flop back. It worked very well, though we use other bators now, the ones in my sig line, plus the trusty Hova.

5. tennessee

tennessee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Crossville
    I know this is an old topic, but I was looking for ideas on doing this also and was just wondering if anyone had came up with a way to turn 3 or 4 trays at once? I have been considering maybe rigging up something like bicycle sprockets and chain with the peddle mounted to the outside. Has anyone tried anything like that?

6. downhome

downhome Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    genesse county, MI
    tennessee , look at the rack I built for mine turns five racks of 60 eggs each. you could do a crank instead of motor but I think you would want a connecting rod like I have and another crank inside, my crank is just a pulley with a bolt run through a hole. you could do the same
    with a few bike sprockets, a bolt to connect them through the cabinet a few nuts for spacers and double washers, I would uses a bushing where the bolt goes through the cabinet. turn the outside crank wich is directly connected to the inside crank moveing the connecting rod
    moveing the trays position. I ganged all my trays with one long piece of flat stock on opposite corners.you could use a shorter pieces and alternate the connecting bars also. example tray 1 to 2 front corner right side, back corner left side, 2 to 3 opposite that back corner right
    side, front corner left side. you could also use bars on all four corners also but at least opposite to even out the force.

the pivot points are just bolt,washer,nut assemblys, where ever you have bolts "rubbing" or working I would use a few washers, like two towards the head, in my rack after it goes through the up right support there are two more washers three would be better, then it goes into the tray and another two and the nut then a lock nut. allows the head and nut to turn with out comeing loose as well as keep the racks from binding. same goes for the connecting bars between racks. you dont want to over tighten the nuts,need a little slack.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  7. RibbedGiraffe

RibbedGiraffe New Egg

May 4, 2010
    downhome,
    What are you using for a motor? I have been hunting for a small low speed high torque motor and all i have found is the dixie narco vending motors.. they still turn to fast and I will have to use a thread rod to move the trays up and down versus an arm attached to the gear...

8. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I'd like to know what kind of motors to use as well. since the turner is the only thing I have left to build for my new wine cooler incubator.

9. tennessee

tennessee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Crossville
    Quote:Thanks for the info. Actually I have checked your page often in the building of my incubator. I built an egg turner like yours and just this morning was working on getting the right height and everything to fit into my incubator. I have the incubator cabinet mostly finished and just trying to decide for sure how I want to do the door and also if I want the back to be solid or put hinges where I can open it if I need to. Any suggestions?

10. downhome

downhome Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    genesse county, MI
    I have a pop door on the lid over the lights for access other then that only the door opens.

a few screws and I can disassemble the whole thing. I dont think you need to, but if you do use some weather strip or make a tight fitting lip to prevent to much air infiltration.

and since you guys are asking on the motor, I will tell you but I fore see geting one at a reasonable price in in the future will be tuff.

its a auger motor for a pellet stove. I get them used for a decent price. if anys ones interested shoot me a pm, I will see if I can get you
    one drop shipped if you cant find a inexpensive one.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by